Candi sugar and FG calculation.

kennes

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Hi all :)

I was building a recipe and i stepped into something weird :

i can add any quantity of candi sugar, the OG will rise but the FG will stay the same. Which means i can go to enormous attenuation (over 90% in extreme cases). without changing the yeast.

I don't really understand why the yeast avg attenuation doesnt affect FG calculation when adding candi sugar ?
It thus seems that the FG calculation does not seem to be using the yeast avg attenuation when adding candi sugar to a recipe,
I wonder if this is the wanted behavior for the calculator ?

Cheers

It's hard to accurately predict FG in many cases, so often the average attenuation is used while taking into account the mash temperature, ingredients, etc. Candi sugar and other simple sugars are more fermentable than grains, and it's a complex reaction that makes it hard to accurately predict the FG especially when extremely large amounts of simple sugars are used. However, it's generally accepted that simple sugars are 100% fermentable, or nearly so.

I understand that candi might be 100% fermentable, yet the avg attenuation of the yeast you use shouldn't be exceeded ?
Maybe I am missing something?

I understand that candi might be 100% fermentable, yet the avg attenuation of the yeast you use shouldn't be exceeded ?
Maybe I am missing something?

There is a difference between real attenuation, and apparent attenuation. In beer, we are talking about apparent attenuation. Brewer's yeast ferments maltose and other sugars just fine, but beer wort is not 100% fermentable. Simple sugars are- so you can get 100% real attenuation with simple sugars.

But brewer's talk about apparent attenuation, and so when a yeast strain's average apparent attenuation is, say, 72-75%, that's the average of apparent attenuation using beer wort (not simple sugars).

Thanks for your answer :) i get it now.

Wanna hear the answer one more time? :p

Wanna hear the answer one more time? :p

Meh. ;)

I mean, I was confused because the recipe calculator is giving different results regarding this issue than a lot of other online/offline calculators.

The FG calculator doesn't take into account the alcohol tolerance of each yeast strain. You can design a recipe with a 30% ABV using candi sugar but that's not realistic.

Back