Bulk Yeast

Steve SPF

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Trying to get ahead of the game a little bit I bulk ordered everything that I could. I have a grain mountain and more hops than I've seen in one place for a while. Things are starting to shut down here now and the supply chains are stuttering so I might have done something relatively smart.

The hops are simple enough, I'm just vac-packing them into 100gm packs. Grain I'm not worried about. I did find some yeast online and grabbed them. Again, seems a fairly smart move because the availability is becoming a problem and we are now seeing prices more than double; 11.5gm packs of S-04 are now getting towards £6.00 which is insane.

My question is will it deteriorate over time? I can vac-pack and/or freeze and the 500gm packs have BB dates of 2022. I'm thinking vac pack into 10gm (what a fun evening that will be!) and that they will last a couple of years no problem if needed.

Any thoughts?

Cold stored, vacuum packed dry yeast is going to outlast your supply chain hiccoughs.

Fermentis' default shelf life is three years. Some strains will vary, of course (well maybe not of course).

Last edited:
Regarding the hops, be aware that even though they'll hold up and the flavor/aroma is relatively stable, the alpha acids deteriorate. I've been using some well-stored hops that I've had for a couple of years in some cases and I definitely notice the lack of bitterness.
I've been eyeballing getting a yeast brick as well.

Regarding the hops, be aware that even though they'll hold up and the flavor/aroma is relatively stable, the alpha acids deteriorate. I've been using some well-stored hops that I've had for a couple of years in some cases and I definitely notice the lack of bitterness.
Should work. I've used cheese cultures bought in bulk for some time - as long as you are reasonably sanitary using a brick of yeast shouldn't be a problem. Question: Why a brick instead of sachets? The 11.5g packaging will last just as long as a brick and are much easier to use.

Should work. I've used cheese cultures bought in bulk for some time - as long as you are reasonably sanitary using a brick of yeast shouldn't be a problem. Question: Why a brick instead of sachets? The 11.5g packaging will last just as long as a brick and are much easier to use.

For me it's cost. I have 500gm of S-04 which cost me £55. The current spike in the price means that online costs are £2.55 if you can get it to £6.00 ish. At £6.00 it's insane but even at £2.55 my 500gm block is half price. Same with US05.

Edit: Should have said that I haven't seen anyone offering bulk supply sachets at anything like the price of a brick

I don't think I will have anything beyond 12 months and they're all being vac-packed so I'm very hopeful there.

Reactions: J A
Just ordered a 500g bag of the Mauribrew 497. If it more or less duplicates the San Francisco Lager yeasts or performs like German Kolsch yeast, I can use it as a house yeast for most all my brews.

Crazy how expensive brewing yeast is. Morebeer price for s05 is $114 500g.
I buy 500g of SAF Red Instant for under $5.
I'm going to try my hand at dehydrating part of my kveik strain. I have an overabundance of it every time I brew.

You could always do a starter when they get on in age to revive the yeast cells and counts. Then package them in mason jars for a few more months.

Just be sure to do another starter prior to using them.

I've also heard of someone freeze drying liquid yeast, think it was the guy from the youtube channel homebrew challenge.

Yeah, that^^^...only reason I'm buying the Mauribrew is that it's at a clearance sale price. Translates to about $1 for the same amount as in a $4-$6 packet of Fermentis.
Hard to find baking yeast that cheap right now, though. Gougers on Ebay want up to $30 shipped for a 1 lb bag and even the bulk bakers sites seem to run 10-12 bucks plus shipping.

Back