BRIX

Grey Ghost

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Change the plato preference to brix in your profile general section.
Thanks Pete

Change the plato preference to brix in your profile general section.
Thanks Pete
Why? The two are practically identical and Plato is more commonly used in beer.

The difference between brix and plato is less than 4%, and plato is much more commonly used in the brewing community and industry. We can open a ticket to add brix as an extra option, especially as we move forward with more support for wine/cider/mead. However we will not be replacing plato with brix.

But they are not the same.How many home brewers use Plato .Can we add Brix?

But they are not the same.How many home brewers use Plato .Can we add Brix?
They are identical at our ranges to one part in a thousand. That's close enough for my little brewery. Both measure the percentage of sucrose in a solution by weight. The difference between Plato and Balling are the reference temperature of the solutions (20 degrees C for Plato, 17.5 degrees C for Balling. A sucrose solution with an apparent specific gravity (20°/20 °C) of 1.040 would be 9.99325 °Bx or 9.99359 °P. In other words, to 1 thousandth of a degree, they are identical. In my little brewery, that makes no difference at all.

When I lived on the Mosel, people were always talking about Oechsle... I still have no idea of what scale that is, or if I spelled it correctly...

The difference between brix and plato is less than 4%, and plato is much more commonly used in the brewing community and industry. We can open a ticket to add brix as an extra option, especially as we move forward with more support for wine/cider/mead. However we will not be replacing plato with brix.

Mike just humor this old man and put a ticket in for BRIX:)

Ticket is still open, however this is a very low priority. As @Nosybear said, they're essentially the same for what we're working with.
Unless you're using lab-grade equipment or you're brewing very big beers, you can't measure the difference between the two scales. My suggestion would be rename the units to Plato/Brix.

I think most home brewers use SG or Brix I use brix because that is what my refactor uses. We target the HB's not the pro's

Back