Brewing Salts Calculator

jerryrolison

Trial Member
Reaction score
My method of brewing is to treat my strike water to a desired profile without using any bicarbonates in most cases. I use lactic acid to make the adjustment to achieve a 5.4 PH mash. I treat my sparge water to the same profile and use acid to arrive at a 5.4 ph. How do I use subject calculator to determine the salts and lactic acid to achieve this for mash water & sparge water separately.

before you use any water calculator you need to send off for your water report from somewhere like ward labs, then use that for your report in your water profile, you will need to use the mash and water calculator together an it will be more accurate, I suggest you go through a test fake brew and play around with the my brew sessions calculators

question, what calculator are you using, this?
http://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-chemi ... alculator/

Ozarks Mountain Brew said:
before you use any water calculator you need to send off for your water report from somewhere like ward labs, then use that for your report in your water profile, you will need to use the mash and water calculator together an it will be more accurate, I suggest you go through a test fake brew and play around with the my brew sessions calculators

question, what calculator are you using, this?
http://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-chemi ... alculator/

I have ward labs report as well as a lamotte test kit report. The information is in my water profile. I use the calculator that pulls up in the recipe section of brewers friend. Do you treat your sparge water as well as your mash water?

short answer salts and minerals yes, acids no

in most recipes the grain will lower the ph on its own some, and less acids get used in the mash vs sparge water, so I treat the sparge separate just for adding acids when adjusting the ph but treat the whole batch of water the same for salts and minerals

as far as the calculators I do not use them for the sparge water, I just test with my ph meter and adjust accordantly when adding the water

Ozarks Mountain Brew said:
short answer salts and minerals yes, acids no

in most recipes the grain will lower the ph on its own some, and less acids get used in the mash vs sparge water, so I treat the sparge separate just for adding acids when adjusting the ph but treat the whole batch of water the same for salts and minerals

as far as the calculators I do not use them for the sparge water, I just test with my ph meter and adjust accordantly when adding the water

Thanks much, this helps a lot.

Back