Brewing a schwarzbier lager, can I brew it all grain style or do I need to do upward step mash?

It's okay if you do a single infusion. What are you trying to achieve? That'll let us know more about what you need to know. Since you're posting in a beginner's forum, I'm going to go out on a limb and recommend you do a single infusion at about 150 degrees F.

Trying to achieve a good beer but I get deeper and deeper the more I read Into lager, I planned on single infusion mash, figured it will still be beer either way. I've seen different ways to do lagers including different temp rest etc.

I am sure others will jump in with a lot more knowledge and info, but from what I have read an experienced, especially as a beginner, go single infusion! Modern malts for the most part don't need more than that to work optimally.
Multiple temp rests, decoction, etc are ways of creating a unique (albeit often subtle) difference, which imo is only worth playing with once you have consistency down-pat. Brew simple and consistent over and over again....and then start fine-tuning. ;)

Assuming this is your first brew, I would recommend an Ale over a Lager as the Lager is going to require a fair bit temperature control for fermentation. An Ale just needs to be in the mid 60s.

I second Nosy. Single rest at 150F will do just fine.

Thanks guys, single infusion mash it is, not my first brew but still new at it. Just wanna get it down, I have a place to ferment at the correct temp too.

Back