Brewhouse Efficiency

Mase

Trial Member
Reaction score
So, our last brew (Luckiest Man Pale Ale from Northern Brewer - All grain) had the following Grain Bill:
  • 10.5 lbs. Rahr 2-row Pale
  • 0.325 lbs. English Medium Crystal
  • 0.25 lbs. Briess Carapils

I plugged those weights and grains into the Brewer's Friend Brew house Efficiency Calculator as shown below.

I had to substitute grains as the grains for the Pale Ale are slightly different from what's available in the pull down menu:
  • I used American 2-row vs. rahr 2-row
  • i used United Kingdom - Crystal 45L vs. English medium Crystal, and
  • I used German Carapils vs. Briess Carapils
The Wort Volume is what I filled my Brew Kettle 6.75 gallons.
The Gravity Measurement was taken just prior to pitching the yeast at a temp of 74 degrees (f).

I must be doing something incorrectly as my efficiency number came in at 92.58%

The expected OG (prior to yeast pitch) was 1.051. What we actually achieved was 1.056

Attachments

• BHE.JPG
    BHE.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 90
I've seen my efficiency as high as that sometimes. I just chalked it up to the malts having more sugars than the BF database thinks it has.

what your seeing isn't your overall beer efficiency is only the highest possible mash efficiency meaning you can only get that amount out of that grain you selected, it doesn't mean you will

I just realized my mistake. Brew House Efficiency is based on how much wort went into the fermenter. Changing that brings my efficiency down to 75.43% efficiency.

Back