Brewers Friend API request

brwry

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of building/programming an open-source automated homebrew controller using a raspberry pi. I've got a working prototype and as I expand my features I'm planning to incorporate recipes / recipe calcs into my code. Instead of doing it from scratch I think it would be a great idea to leverage some of the existing solutions out there. BF seems pretty robust and is actively developed... could you create (or allow me to help you create) some sort of backend API? It'd be useful to access stored recipes and some of your brewing calculations, at the very least.

In the future I will also be incorporating fermentation temperature control, which could be neat to display. And if someone finally gets around to designing a accurate digital hydrometer that would be neat too.

Matt from http://brwry.com

Recipes, Brew Sessions, and Brew Logs can be pretty easily setup as an API.

Calculators are not as easy as some of the logic is JavaScript based.

We'd just need to re-purpose the iPhone sync API and write the docs for it. We'd probably start with read only access at first.

This thread was asked awhile ago on the subject:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=100&p=1575&hilit=api#p1575

There are already a couple end points for BeerXML and getting a recipe as JSON, but those are just direct URLs and if the recipe is not shared, a session is required.

One thing is, we'd likely require a premium account to call the API.

Yeah I saw that and figured with the new apps there might be something available now.

Recipes and Brew Sessions will be my initial focus. I should be able to use the brew sessions from here to actually run the hardware on my side, and read access for that is fine.

In the future being able to post brew logs to your site would be nice. The logging on my side will probably be more robust since it contains heating element/valve/pump states, target temperatures, etc. But I can translate my log into a form that could be used on here.

I'm not sure how to handle the calculators. They're not hard to implement on my own... but it'd be nice to make sure they are compatible, and yours are proven vice what I can find in my books/online.

So... how can I help/what can I do?

All sounds good. For now just standby. We have a couple releases to get through in August and September. Can't promise any timeline for this right now, but it would be a cool thing to do.

Back