Brewed Trialben's S&W Summer Ale

Vallka

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Just brewed this up couple days ago and it is looking Great!
setup.jpg
wort.jpg
oxygen.jpg
chamber.jpg

So how did brew day go @Vallka ? You get some good efficiency. Grain bill the same?
Looks plenty airated aye:p. Colour looks about right. Youll love them fruity galaxy hops. Well look forward to seeing it in a glass mate;).

You fermenting with coopers yeast?

Yes I got 78% efficiency and used Cooper's yeast, the yeast took off within 4hours and it went crazy in there!
The 2 row and Carapils are a bit different used Irish moss and I walked away for a min while the oxygen was doing its thing. Yeast is in stationary phase right now and color looks good nice and hazy in there. I'm excited about this one.

Yes I got 78% efficiency and used Cooper's yeast, the yeast took off within 4hours and it went crazy in there!
The 2 row and Carapils are a bit different used Irish moss and I walked away for a min while the oxygen was doing its thing. Yeast is in stationary phase right now and color looks good nice and hazy in there. I'm excited about this one.
I think its the ratios of ale malt and wheat malt the carapils ill probably leave out next time i brew it as i think thw wheat malt does the same thing provides body and head retention. What temp you mash at?

Mashed it at 63° for 60 min, it only dropped 1° , then got the mash up to 68° (didn't make it to 71° with the amount of water I had available (10l) for 15min them sparged it with 9L, don't remember how hot, I did add a bit of DME to bring gravity up, I think I was low because of not getting the mashup temp to 71°
I also only boiled for 45min like you suggested.
Today I dry hop it, I've never dry hopped, do I just drop them in? The only Galaxy hop I could find are pellets.

If you can cold crash to drop out the hop matter then throw them in loose , if not then a sanitary bag with marbles or similar will work fine .

Where did you get Coopers yeast from ? Didn't think we exported the Coopers ales to Canada yet ?

OK I will cold crash it. I got the yeast from a little LHBS in Vancouver
https://danshomebrewing.wordpress.com
I also have a 7 g package of Cooper's Ale yeast, it came in one of those beer in a can kits, I found it mixed in with a bunch of beer paraphernalia I bought from a guy. Didn't use it but I'm sure I could make a starter out of it to get enough yeast for another batch

OK I will cold crash it. I got the yeast from a little LHBS in Vancouver
https://danshomebrewing.wordpress.com
I also have a 7 g package of Cooper's Ale yeast, it came in one of those beer in a can kits, I found it mixed in with a bunch of beer paraphernalia I bought from a guy. Didn't use it but I'm sure I could make a starter out of it to get enough yeast for another batch
I don't think that's the same yeast as the stuff in the bottles Vallka, Mark will know more about it.
I think it's similar to mangrove jacks workhorse ale yeast but please correct me if I'm wrong.
Yep I just throw in my dry hop additions loose let them sit for 4-5 days then begin cold crash for a day or two then keg carb and enjoy. This beer is a pretty quick turn around your not waiting for clarity and tastes great fresh but1 week conditioning will shape it up nicely.

Well it was the only coopers we have acces too and the package gives no descriptions about the yeast at all. Unless I order it online, where is a good place online to get the proper Coopers.
Now I'm more excited, I could be drinking it within 10 days from now!!

Frankly the only way to get the real Coopers ale yeast is to culture it from a commercial bottle .
The kit yeasts are not the same strain and depending which can they were supplied with can be a blend of ale and lager yeast , ale yeast only ,lager yeast only or third party yeasts very similar BRY-97 /S-23 /WB-06 again depending on which can .

The commercial yeast is a favourite of mine but can get tricky to use to promote the correct ester profile and is fairly powdery in flocculation so stays cloudy for a week or more even in the fridge .

on that note Ive been culturing and building a BRY-97 strain from a blow off container, pretty clean compared to my m44 house yeast which has a big but good esters flavor, its is a bit finicky but I have a handle on it whats different about the coopers really I like the high flock types sounds like its not

I guess I will have to look for for some Cooper's here in Western Canada, I just make do with what I can get.

Last edited:
The kit yeast is a solid and temp flexible workhorse , clean even when fermented at 23 C
The commercial yeast will throw banana and fusels if fermented too high , apples and pears are the usual esters and mine will rip through a 1.065 stout in 3 days but i don't even think it gets exported , i'll ask some people i know in the brewery and dist. departments and if not when i visit the states next i'll see if i can legally bring a bottle or 10 with me

Well @Vallka concerning Stone and Wood Pacific Ale ive herd mixed reports on "the purported" yeast the use for this brew.

Ive herd us-05 from a local mirco brewer here when i hit him up about this beer when concocting the recipie.

Next time i brew it will be a 40min boil FWHed with galaxy and use chico strain to ferment it with.

My bunyip beer is similar grain bill but used marris otter for the ale malt and fermenyed witl wlp090 turned out oh so creamy and fruity was delish.

Hows she shaping up @Vallka would be near terminal gravity eh? I dont mean to hound you on it just interested is all?:)

It's all going well, the yeast is in stationary phase now, bit of new kraeusen(?) on top so yeast kicked in to clean up whatever was left. I will check the gravity tomorrow, if all is good I will start the cold crash on Sun.

@Trialben Bottled today FG was 1.006! Don't know what I did wrong (mostly cause I kinda don't know what I'm doing....lol.....yet) I will post my brew logs later today. It looks and taste real good, just has a ABV of 5.8 instead of 4.? Not the worst problem one can have

@Trialben Bottled today FG was 1.006! Don't know what I did wrong (mostly cause I kinda don't know what I'm doing....lol.....yet) I will post my brew logs later today. It looks and taste real good, just has a ABV of 5.8 instead of 4.? Not the worst problem one can have
Nope not at all! That yeast is pretty agressive and attenuates well! Ah I'm really happy it's coming along nicely for you. Two weeks to carb up if you can wait that long and you'll get your first taste of this fruity summer ale:).

So is there anything I could change to get the numbers closer?
upload_2017-9-5_13-4-14.png

Mashing a little higher will keep less fermentable sugars in wort for more body and higher FG or reduce grain slightly to get a lower OG .

Otherwise happy yeasties will just munch the lot

Back