Brewed this today

Reaction score
My 3rd all grain brew.
Went without any problems, now just waiting for fermentation to kick off. Would have liked to get 22lit
into the fermenter, at an OG of 1.046 but am happy with 20 lit at 1.048

SMASH AMARILLO

Anthony G Milner
Method: All Grain
Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (ESB)
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 20 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 26 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.037 (recipe based estimate)
Efficiency: 64% (brew house)
Source: A G MILNER

Original Gravity:
Final Gravity:
ABV (standard):
4.52%
IBU (tinseth):
SRM (mosher):

Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
4.7 kg United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale4.7 kg Maris Otter Pale 38 3.75 100%
4.7 kg Total
Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
25 g Amarillo25 g Amarillo Hops Leaf/Whole 8.1 Boil 60 min 26.33
25 g Amarillo25 g Amarillo Hops Leaf/Whole 8.1 Boil 15 min 13.06
25 g Amarillo25 g Amarillo Hops Leaf/Whole 8.1 Boil 5 min 5.25
25 g Amarillo25 g Amarillo Hops Leaf/Whole 8.1 Whirlpool at 80 °C 30 min 5.06
Show Summary View

Hops Summary
Amount Variety Type AA
100 g Amarillo Leaf/Whole 8.1
Mash Guidelines
Amount Description Type Temp Time
18 L Infusion 64 C 60 min
Starting Mash Thickness: 3.5 L/kg
Yeast
Fermentis / Safale - Safbrew - General/Belgian Yeast S-33
Attenuation (avg):
70%
Flocculation:
High
Optimum Temp:
12.2 - 25 °C
Starter:
No
Fermentation Temp:
22 °C
Cheers
-

very nice.
i did practically the same thing for my first BIAB attempt a few years ago. turned out quite well i think

Looks nice Anthony my only question was use of yeast but after reading around on the interweb I see it's a clean fermenting ale yeast but there seems to be some problems with attenuation. Eg one blokes brew Finnished at 1.018 for an normal midrange starting gravity. You used this yeast before Anthony?

Btw I'm not nocking anything just curious is all;).

No never tried it, my normal yeast is US05, but S-33 was the direct replacement for the Wyeast 1056 as recommended in the Greg Hughes book for single hop ales (not SMASH) as I did not fancy doing a starter as well, never done one before, I just re-hydrated the yeast - first time for that too! Yeast was pitched at 4pm yesterday and by 10 pm fermentation was well, and I mean well, under way! This is the fastest start I've ever had on a beer. The yeast should be good for beer up to 11% ABV.
I'll re-hydrate all my yeast from now on.

Here is a link for S-33
http://www.fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/SFBS33.pdf
Cheers

What temperature you thinking about fermenting this yeast at Anthony I see it's got a pretty broad fermentation range?

Well it's in the coolest room in the flat, so I let it do its own thing - it's 24c at the moment but that will drop to between 18 to 20c as fermentation slows up.
Cheers

Can't go wrong with Amarillo hops. I used that s-33 before in a wit it was to clean for that but I'm sure it will be fine in the ESB since I don't think it really produces to many esters. Like mentioned above keep it under control to be sure.

my normal yeast is US05, but S-33 was the direct replacement for the Wyeast 1056 as recommended in the Greg Hughes book for single hop ales

US-05 is the same as 1056, not S-33. S-33 is recommended by Fermentis for "trappist" style ales, but it's an English strain, not Belgian. You'll get much more fruit from that yeast and it won't attenuate as well as the US-05. It will eventually clean up, though.
It wants to go like mad and then stall. Keep an eye on it and if it slows down after a couple of days, rouse it up and consider a small sugar feed (honey, brown sugar, candi sugar, dextrose, table sugar) to get the yeast interested again. I've gotten much better attenuation that way than their listed average of 70%.

If you can get it to attenuate fairly well and be fairly crisp, you'll have a really nice beer. Your low mash temp will help.

That's what I read around on forums about it. It takes off hard then stalls quick but I've never used it so can't personally comment. Heck one persons opinion on a yeast staring can be totally different to another's but be careful with this yeast Anthony.

I look at an under attenuating yeast as a rip off hear me out. in the mash I'm trying to extract every point of sugar out of the grain so in fermentation I'm also trying to convert every point of fermentable sugar to alcohol and carbon dioxide (within reason). A well fermenting yeast strain up to around 80% will actually save you money in grain.

Eg my last saison I used 3.6kg of grain to get an OG of around 1.042 yet the yeast attenuated 100% of the sugar (still giving me A 5% beer) yes it's to style and I used less grain which saved me a couple of bucks:rolleyes:. Yea I'm a cheap arse lol

Saison yeast are a different story , my last one got down to 1.004 from memory and 7% in the bottle .
Not used S-33 either as Trappist beers are not my thing
1056 is a great strain but there's cheaper options that are just as clean , 1272 is my best friend these days

There is more to yeast than attenuation the package describes it's flocculation as powdery. Not sure what that means but it may be appropriate in a new England IPA. Conan is a low flocculating yeast. From my understanding of the NEIPA the yeast should stay in suspension holding onto some hop material. Let us know how it works

Playing around with a NEIPA now threw 10 oz in this morning while still at high krausen
No oats in mine but being me there's a fair dose of rye
Running 1318 and ditched the 1275 I had bought by mistake

Well...I did check the Greg Hughes book again and he did say 1056 for his single hop ales, and he equates that with S-33, however he does that with a number of other liquid yeasts as well (page 35) - now I'm confused!
But... as others have said it took off like a bomb and did raise the fermentation temp. to 24c / 25c now after 2days it's back to 20c and at a gravity of 1.012, so I'll leave it for a few more days to settle out and check again.
Tasted good & hoppy though, if a bit 'raw' - I threw the sample out, only 110cc after the reading & tasting, better not to return to the fermenter I think! I'll post again later this week
Thanks for all the advice everyone, and happy brewing
Cheers

Here's a reference that I use:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0093/2142/files/Yeast_Substitutions.pdf
There may be other sources, but I don't think you're going to find any that identify 1056 as other than Chico strain (same as WLP001 and US-05).
Your S-33 isn't a bad choice at all for that beer but you'll have to work at getting good attenuation. If you're at .012 already, that's promising. I'd give it the swirl and see if it's going to go further on its own. If not, a good dose (3-4 oz) of sugar will kick it again and it'll go further and dry out a little. You'll be happier with a crisper finish to that beer, if you can manage it.

Back