Brew House Efficiency Question

umakemyheadhurt

Premium Member
Reaction score
In my recipe, I have set "Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)" and "Efficiency: 68% (brew house)" and "Original Gravity: 1.120".

I brewed it yesterday, and hit my numbers exactly, "Volume: 5.5 gallons" and "Expected OG: 1.120, Actual OG: 1.120".

But in the brew session efficiency, it says "Brew House: 62% 24.2 ppg". Why would the brew house efficiency in the session be lower than 68%, my expected brew house efficiency, when I hit the numbers in recipe exactly?

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/brewsession/407208

That's a good question! I don't know for sure, without the preboil gravities added to the calculation, but I think it has to do with some of the ingredients (like figs) that aren't mashed and are added late. @Pricelessbrewing?

Correct @Yooper, @umakemyheadhurt the efficiencies take the total gravity measured and compares it to the expected recipe gravity from all fermentables regardless of type or addition timing. As a result the sugar additions, and late additions can really throw things off. We have an issue tracker to differentiate this accordingly and have specific efficiency trackers for just mashed grains, since that is what most brewers actually care about monitoring.

Back