Breakfast Stout with Bacon

Robert68

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey my buddy and I are kicking around the idea of a pancake pastry stout with bacon and maple syrup. Anyone here had any experience with .......... BACON? Anyways it is just an idea but thought it might be fun to kick around for suggestions.

Hey my buddy and I are kicking around the idea of a pancake pastry stout with bacon and maple syrup. Anyone here had any experience with .......... BACON? Anyways it is just an idea but thought it might be fun to kick around for suggestions.
No experience with bacon in beer but some experience with 'fats' in beer: It sometimes gets ugly. The oils and fats can make the foamy head disappear. So real bacon might not be a choice, but real bacon flavoring, perhaps.

Try an experiment: Any beer, place a 'swizzle stick' of cooked bacon in it. Taste and observe what it does. YMMV.

No experience with bacon in beer but some experience with 'fats' in beer: It sometimes gets ugly. The oils and fats can make the foamy head disappear. So real bacon might not be a choice, but real bacon flavoring, perhaps.

Try an experiment: Any beer, place a 'swizzle stick' of cooked bacon in it. Taste and observe what it does. YMMV.

Except for 'swizzle stick' I was pretty much typing the exact same reply! :cool:

Someone had a smoked bacon porter (high abv btw), they sold them all so either someone liked it, or everyone tried it once... I fell into the latter category, blech

Yeah, that's a good idea: smoked malt plus maple flavor.

Thanks for all the feedback......the smoked malt plus maple flavor seems the most appropriate way to go.....however I must admit "Leave the bacon for the table, drink your pancake pastry stout with cooked bacon on the side." might also be the right way to go.

Leave the bacon for the table, drink your pancake pastry stout with cooked bacon on the side.
Almost...
Crispy bacon to the side
Thin pancake, first baked, then deep fried till nice and crispy, to the side
Drink beer :p

Almost...
Crispy bacon to the side
Thin pancake, first baked, then deep fried till nice and crispy, to the side
Drink beer :p
must admit...have never had a deep fried pancake before, but it sounds like it would be worth a try (maybe warm with a bit of vanilla ice cream on top!?)

Just because things go together on a plate, doesn't mean they would work together in a beer.
I can get behind the smoked malt and maple, but what about the salt from the bacon? That sounds awful.
My 2 cents
Nothing ventured......nothing gained. This recipe definitely is a little out there. Not sure how it will evolve.

must admit...have never had a deep fried pancake before, but it sounds like it would be worth a try (maybe warm with a bit of vanilla ice cream on top!?)
I frankly have no idea either :p
I figure they do this with tortilla to make tortilla chips. So maybe pancake works (thin pancake, like a crepe):rolleyes:

Back