Braggot style beers

oliver

Premium Member
Reaction score
If I add honey to the wort pre-boil, what is the chance that it deepens in color and starts to caramelize during the boil? Or is there enough wort and other water present to prevent it from caramelizing?

I'm aiming for a Pilsner style beer, but I'm going to make it a Braggot of sorts, and do about 50:50 Malt:Honey. I'm hoping to keep the color light being a pils and all.

Doing some reading on Braggots, I see a lot of people adding honey post boil and during primary fermentation. I'm also curious if adding honey post-boil will significantly affect hop utilization. I'd essentially be boiling the amount of malted wort for a 2.5% beer with the hops for a 5% beer. But the recipe calculator here tells me it'd be about the difference of 3 IBUs, no big deal there.

Anyone have experience with boiling honey in the wort for an hour?

I made a wheat braggot several years ago that turned out pretty good. I made a 1.044 American wheat beer. After it fermented I added enough honey to boost the O G to 1.077.
The longer the boil the more the honey flavor and aroma will go up in the steam.

I made a wheat braggot several years ago that turned out pretty good. I made a 1.044 American wheat beer. After it fermented I added enough honey to boost the O G to 1.077.
The longer the boil the more the honey flavor and aroma will go up in the steam.
I realize I'll lose the honey aromatics and whatnot in the boil, but the focus of the beer won't be honey, so I'd prefer it didn't have honey flavor. Mostly curious about color and hop utilization

I realize I'll lose the honey aromatics and whatnot in the boil, but the focus of the beer won't be honey, so I'd prefer it didn't have honey flavor. Mostly curious about color and hop utilization
Hop utilization is affected by O G no matter what the source and most honey is not dark enough to make much of a difference.
Honey is quite expensive and if you don't care about honey flavor and aromatics you'd be better served using something cheaper.

Back