Bourbon woodchips dry hop

Normballs

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on dry hopping a stout with woodchips from a bourbon barrel.
I want to let the stout sit in the carboy for at least a month,
Now when do I put the chips in, And for how long?

I'd rack into a secondary once fermentation is done then let the chips sit for at least 2 weeks.
How much longer is up to your taste. Sample every week or so and package it when you like it
I know you didn't ask about it, but how are you planning to put the chips in?

I take the bourbon chips and soak them in Makers Mark for two weeks prior to tossing them into the primary (conical). After secondary I add a fresh batch of chips soaked in Makers for an additional 3-4 weeks of oaky bourbony goodness. After 4 or 5 months in the keg or bottle I start to get vanilla which makes for a tasty bonus.

That sounds great JS, I think I will soak the chips for a couple of weeks, then add them to the secondary, and let it sit for a month or 2.
I was thinking of using about 14 grams. Is that to little or to much?

For a 12 gallon batch I use 4 oz of chips soaked in enough makers mark to cover all of the chips. I pour the chips through a strainer and start the second batch soaking and take the strained chips and add to primary. When I rack from the conical to the aging vessel I add the second batch of 4 oz of chips bourbon and all. I do my aging in this:
http://shop.greatfermentations.com/...MI9YSKp4Wj3gIVDbCzCh15eABpEAQYBCABEgK9GfD_BwE

For the variable capacity, I skipped the included air lock and switched to a bung. I have two and use them for finishing 12 gal wine batches.

The valve at the bottom is excellent for sampling. This makes an exceedingly bourbony stout (they way I like it).

The chips come packaged in 4 oz packages: https://www.homebrewing.org/Whisky-...MIqJvXkIaj3gIVg1YNCh3eBgaMEAQYAiABEgKuzfD_BwE

For a 5 gal batch you can get away with 1/2 of the package in primary/secondary and 1/2 in aging. If you are racking off of your primary you should be good with using the second 1/2 package through secondary and aging.

This method is competitive with commercially produced barrel aged stouts. My beer snob friends are blown away when I tell them that I don't age in a barrel. After reading Extreme Brewing from the Dogfish Head founder, one of the many tips I garnered from the book is that chips free floating in the ferment is a good thing.

ETA: your original question was 14 grams. I'm using 56 grams (2 oz) but I like a bourbony stout. The amount of chips that you use depends upon your taste.

Last edited:

Back