Bourbon woodchips dry hop

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by Normballs, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Normballs

Normballs New Member

I'm planning on dry hopping a stout with woodchips from a bourbon barrel.
    I want to let the stout sit in the carboy for at least a month,
    Now when do I put the chips in, And for how long?

2. jmcnamara

jmcnamara Well-Known Member

I'd rack into a secondary once fermentation is done then let the chips sit for at least 2 weeks.
    How much longer is up to your taste. Sample every week or so and package it when you like it
    I know you didn't ask about it, but how are you planning to put the chips in?

Trialben likes this.
  3. Normballs

Normballs New Member

I plan on putting them in a Muslim bag

4. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

I didn't know they made those.... And this could go south very quickly.

Texas Ale Works and Normballs like this.
  5. jmcnamara

jmcnamara Well-Known Member

Assuming you meant muslin bag remember to weight it down with sanitized marbles so the chips are fully submerged

6. Normballs

Normballs New Member

Yes thanks, and yes lol muslin bag.

7. JS

JS New Member

I take the bourbon chips and soak them in Makers Mark for two weeks prior to tossing them into the primary (conical). After secondary I add a fresh batch of chips soaked in Makers for an additional 3-4 weeks of oaky bourbony goodness. After 4 or 5 months in the keg or bottle I start to get vanilla which makes for a tasty bonus.

Trialben likes this.
  8. Normballs

Normballs New Member

That sounds great JS, I think I will soak the chips for a couple of weeks, then add them to the secondary, and let it sit for a month or 2.
    I was thinking of using about 14 grams. Is that to little or to much?

9. JS

JS New Member

#9 JS, Oct 26, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    For a 12 gallon batch I use 4 oz of chips soaked in enough makers mark to cover all of the chips. I pour the chips through a strainer and start the second batch soaking and take the strained chips and add to primary. When I rack from the conical to the aging vessel I add the second batch of 4 oz of chips bourbon and all. I do my aging in this:
    http://shop.greatfermentations.com/...MI9YSKp4Wj3gIVDbCzCh15eABpEAQYBCABEgK9GfD_BwE

For the variable capacity, I skipped the included air lock and switched to a bung. I have two and use them for finishing 12 gal wine batches.

The valve at the bottom is excellent for sampling. This makes an exceedingly bourbony stout (they way I like it).

The chips come packaged in 4 oz packages: https://www.homebrewing.org/Whisky-...MIqJvXkIaj3gIVg1YNCh3eBgaMEAQYAiABEgKuzfD_BwE

For a 5 gal batch you can get away with 1/2 of the package in primary/secondary and 1/2 in aging. If you are racking off of your primary you should be good with using the second 1/2 package through secondary and aging.

This method is competitive with commercially produced barrel aged stouts. My beer snob friends are blown away when I tell them that I don't age in a barrel. After reading Extreme Brewing from the Dogfish Head founder, one of the many tips I garnered from the book is that chips free floating in the ferment is a good thing.

ETA: your original question was 14 grams. I'm using 56 grams (2 oz) but I like a bourbony stout. The amount of chips that you use depends upon your taste.

Normballs likes this.