Bottling test, old capper

Ward Chillington

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, check out this old but still operative bottle capper. It appears to still work but I want give it a test so here's what I was thinking; fill it with some soda water, cap it and wait a few weeks then open and look for carbination.
The reason I am curious is because this thing does not leave the indentation on the top of a cap that my modern double handed one does. Does that indentation coupled with the raised rubber ring on the underside of the cap work with the compressed sides of the cap to guarantee the seal around the bottle lip or is the compression on the side really do it all?
1536518022125-1759903924.jpg

The dimple in the cap just indicates that it's pushed too far. Ideally, your cap would look just like the ones in the store. This capper will work just fine. If you were concerned with seal, you could just bottle some seltzer (more fizzy than most sodas), cap it, shake it up and submerge it. If you see bubbles, it's not sealed. I'm betting on no bubbles. ;)

should be fine I have one just like it only newer, the capper works differently it uses the sides of the this to mold the cap over the bottle
Bottling test  old capper   Make Beer at Home Forums   Brewer s Friend.png

Back