Bottling questions

Stout@TheDevil

Trial Member
Reaction score
Instead of putting it all in 12 oz bottles, is there anything wrong filling a growler or two?

Also, I got some ginger brew rubber stoppered 22 oz bottles from Trader Joe's, I believe I read here those are okay to fill, but these are green glass. Is green glass not as effective against light as brown glass?

Thanks.

Some folks have bottle conditioned in growlers and had it work out. Others will tell you that they are big bottle bombs waiting to go off. If the glass is thick and you have good caps for them, it should be ok. That being said... I wouldn't do it.

Swing top bottles are great for bottling. I exclusively use 1 litre brown swing tops to bottle in. You are correct that green glass doesn't block light like brown glass. Make sure you keep the green bottles out of the light and you'll be good.

If you don't want to bottle up in 12oz bottles, get a supply of pints or bombers. One of the problems that you'll run into is sealing bottles well during carbonation. Used lids and stoppers can be sources of leaks. New crown caps and a decent capper will ensure you don't have any dead soldiers when it comes time to drink your brew.

You should take a few classes at your LHBS they will be happy to show you the ropes and hook you up with the supplies you need... Bottling needs to be done in a sanitary environment with the proper equipment with as little O2 contamination as possible to be successful for re-fermentation and long term storage.

You should take a few classes at your LHBS they will be happy to show you the ropes and hook you up with the supplies you need... Bottling needs to be done in a sanitary environment with the proper equipment with as little O2 contamination as possible to be successful for re-fermentation and long term storage.

I’ve been to one brew day at Steinfillers here in Long Beach, CA, but thanks for the tip.

I also have some brown 1L swing tops which are nice to use for faster bottling. Growlers likely wouldn't be an issue but if they are it's either a lot of flat beer (if you're lucky) or big glass grenades. Green and clear bottles are fine as long as you can keep them out of the light, keeping in mind that even indoor/fridge lighting can skunk your beer if the exposure time is long enough.

I’ve been to one brew day at Steinfillers here in Long Beach, CA, but thanks for the tip.
There are lots of Youtube's out there to help, some good books.... One tip: I've noticed bigger bottles taste better, likely a result of less oxygen (compared to the volume of beer) in the headspace.

Back