bottling keg beer

goatee

Trial Member
Reaction score
just wondering if its even possible? i really doubt it but thought id ask.
i assume once the beer is dispensed from the keg,, it's "open beer"... end of story. drink it soon or drink flat beer.
kind of wondering now,,, how long will it take to go flat? you'd think it would take longer considering the small head space... hmmm
anyone here ever try this?

I used to do it more often, but I broke my beer gun and haven't got around to fixing/replacing it. I played around with spunding valves so that when the beer was finished fermenting it was already carbonated and then I'd just use the beer gun to fill the bottles and cap them.

I may get back to it, but I'm just as happy with the beer filled via gravity and bottle conditioned, so it's low on my priorities. These are the beers that usually tolerate a bit of oxygen after fermentation well, Saisons, imperials, etc.

7124_-_kl01229_-_3.jpg

Buy a beer gun or build your own counter pressure bottle filler. There's a little learning curve but they work great. You can make one for probably under $15 that will work just fine.

Forgot about the really simple counter pressure bottle filler of using a carbonation cap. Works very well for when I'm taking beer to friends places. Easier to understand in a video

Last edited:
I use this, I have it hooked to my Co2 through my keezer and a quick release on the beer line
s-l1600.jpg

Those are all great solutions. I only bottle for competitions and just use a plastic wand from the LHBS with the spring valve removed jammed into the end of a picnic tap. I flood the bottle with CO2 first. I just dread bottling day, but it works well enough.

Yep, you can just "growler-fill" bottles and slap a cap on and as long as your co2 level is good and you keep the foam/headspace to a minimum, it'll hold okay. I've done some bottles and plenty of cans like that and guys do competition bottles like that all the time. The beer gun with some sort of accommodation for counter-pressure is better because the CO2 in suspension holds a lot better and there's nearly no foam to deal with.

Yeah I got a growler filled recently and their fill method was poke a bit of hose up inside the tap (looked like intertap) and hey Presto were filling.
Incredibly simple.

I fill same as group W.

Not using a beer gun (yet). Slightly overcarbonate, use the long tube method mentioned above, then "cap on foam", generate enough foam that you actually sit the bottle cap on foam. No oxygen that way and it's how at least some of the pros do it.

I have one of the beer guns, you can put a plug on it too to help reduce foaming but drill a small hole in it for CO2 release or the damned thing will blow out as you fill.
I really only bottle if someone asks me for it these days.

I sometimes fill growlers as travellers, and for sharing, but only for immediate consumption. I purge the bottles with Co2 first. First, I relieve all pressure from the keg, then turn the pressure up enough to get flow. I try to fill right to the top, as Nosy says, and cap on foam.

Back