Bottling fruit lambic

gartret

Trial Member
Reaction score
I am going to make a kriek and I know that you carbonate it up to a high level of co2 3.5-4. Some people talk about putting them in champagne bottles and corking them and capping on top of that. I was just wondering if it is possible to just cork them only (as i don't have a capper as I have been using PET bottles with screw on caps), or if a grolsch bottle is capable of handling the level of carbonation.

"Normal" bottles are supposedly good to 3 vols - read that somewhere, came out of the memory banks, I won't be held liable for safety concerns, yada, yada. There are "Belgian" bottles made of heavier glass. Our LHBS carries them, you can get them on line. Would be safer to use them; however, I never have, unless it was a bottle I got from elsewhere. The crimp caps are adequate to hold the pressure, the bottle will fail before the cap blows off, the fancy cork and bale closures are more for looks than anything else, that and the availability of used champagne bottles back in the bad old days of aristocratic Europe....

If you are concerned about it just use the PET bottles. They won't hurt you if they blow. Just make a mess.
Or use proper bottles rated for the application.
Edit: Disclaimer and all that stuff. Anything under pressure can hurt you.

Back