Bottle conditioning temperature

UB2

Trial Member
Reaction score
Is bottle conditioning meant to be at the yeast fermentation temperature?

It should be warm enough so the yeast wake up and eat the sugar. I do mine at room temp for 2-3 weeks, then put them in the fridge as there is room.

If it is too cold, it will take much longer or perhaps stall out.

UB2 said:
Is bottle conditioning meant to be at the yeast fermentation temperature?
You wouldn't want to bottle condition a lager at lager temperatures. Go ahead and condition at room temperature. by this time a the lager or "cold conditioning" is done and the little bit of yeast activity needed to bottle condition wont be enough to effect the flavor noticeably.

A timely question

My first brew has been conditioning for 2 weeks. I have a very tasty, very flat Irish Red!

My basement is probably averages around 65.

I moved the bottles to the storage room which contains the furnace. I also ferment in that room

Temp is a bit warmer, closer to 68.

I worry that it may have stalled. If so, what is the solution?

See, the problem is, I am cheap,and keep the thermostat low, My house is NEVER 70F!!

68f will work. Just give it plenty of time. At least 3 weeks.

Yes, timely indeed, I was just updating my brew log...
I got flat beer also.
It's been three weeks yesterday; it's no different today than it was last week when I tried it.
If I turn the bottle vertical and dump straight in a glass, I get about 1/2 a finger... and I got wild huge bubbles in the empty bottle when I pour like that.
I thought it was too cold after the first few days and moved everything to a warmer place.. it was surely 65-70 to during the past couple of weeks.
Wondering now if I screwed this up by the way I cleaned the bottles... I used PBW, cleaned them out, rinsed them, let them dry, then sanitized. So, thinking maybe I didn't rinse well enough after PBW cleaning???

.... the beer tastes really really good, but it's seriously flat.

I bottled some brown ale today, double checked my corn sugar measure, rinsed the bottles well before sanitizing and they went to the warmer place with a towel over them, so we'll see. (the other half of this brown ale is sitting on toasted coconut flakes with a bit vanilla added bty :) )

MrBIP said:
Wondering now if I screwed this up by the way I cleaned the bottles... I used PBW, cleaned them out, rinsed them, let them dry, then sanitized. So, thinking maybe I didn't rinse well enough after PBW cleaning???
PBW is an alkaline cleaner. If you sanitized with Star San, then the acid of the sanitizer will naturalize the PBW. Also the acid level in the finished beer would probably do the same. The Star San is diluted in the beer, changing the Ph and turning it into yeast nutrient.
If you clean with hot PBW , be sure to rinse with hot water. If you use cold rinse water there will be a deposit left that is rather difficult to remove. Cold PBW and hot rinse is ok.

It is somewhat heartening to hear that others experienced the same issue I had with my 2nd ever batch. I moved my 3rd and remainder of thev2nd batche to a warmer location and will wait the 3 weeks suggested. Thanks all.

Back