Boil water size

Richieaudis3

Trial Member
Reaction score
My final batch size is 7lt (BIABmethod) The recipe after scaling it down says 13lt boil. Originally it was 26lt batch size and 20lt boil. To me it seems to much boil water.

10 liters would probably be fine. There’s a lot that can affect boil off. How much do you usually boil off?

If you boil off too much, you can just add water at the end. Use a sanitized container if it’s post boil. If you need to boil off more, just keep it going. You’ll get your water dialed in eventually.

Scaling a recipe is great for all the ingredients. It's not particularly accurate for water volumes. If you boil off a certain amount per hour, that's not going to change because you have less in the pot. If you're scaling someone else's recipe to fit your system, you have to ignore a lot of the volumes set out in the original because they're based on a specific system.
Scale the recipe for your desired batch size and once you've made any little adjustments to ingredients (rounding up or down to convenient measurements, for instance) just adjust the boil volume to reflect the realities of your system. Since boil volume affects the IBU count, make small adjustments to hop schedule if necessary.

Thanks guys great help. Yeah my stove top was struggling with 13lts so ill drop to 10lts and adjust from there after boil. I suppose practise makes perfect.:)

ill drop to 10lts and adjust from there after boil.
Yeah...if you're doing stove top then boiling small and topping up is a pretty good way to go. Some boil their top-up water or buy bottled but I just use water direct from my filtered tap when needed and I've had no trouble. Mostly I'm just adding a quart or two to a 5-gallon batch.

Thanks guys great help. Yeah my stove top was struggling with 13lts so ill drop to 10lts and adjust from there after boil. I suppose practise makes perfect.:)
I keep hoping practice makes perfect....

My wife once said that she was going to make pot roast until the gravy turned out right. Then what? She figures it out, and we never get it again??

Back