Boil Gravity Showing Much Lower than OG

Discussion in 'Recipe Editor' started by Brewer #103854, Dec 29, 2017.

1. DevinJ

DevinJ New Member

Hi all,

First time posting, and just had a question regarding the recipe builder. In the recipe builder, it shows my "boil gravity" is estimated at 1.042, but my OG is estimated to be at 1.054. I've tried adjusting my equipment to see if that changes, but it hasn't. Shouldn't these two numbers be matching, or at least close to matching? I was under the impression that if anything the boil gravity would be higher than the OG from boiloff.

upload_2017-12-29_14-50-18.png

Attached Files:

2. jeffpn

jeffpn Well-Known Member

Boil off is the reason boil gravity is lower than OG. the amount of sugar in the wort is constant. Before the boil, you have more water, so a thinner wort and a lower gravity. After the boil, it’s a thicker solution, so a higher gravity.

Mase likes this.
  3. Hoppy Ending

Hoppy Ending New Member

I've reported an issue in another thread. There's an open bug where the dead kettle space is treated as boil-off. This throws off the gravity calculation. Very misleading.

I have change my recipes to a target type of "kettle" instead of "fermenter". Then just add the amount of wort left in the kettle to the batch size. You'll see your OG number change when it should actually stay the same.

The numbers work out after this change. You can test out the OG/SG/FG numbers by using the following calculator:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/allgrain-ogfg/

My suggestion to BF would be to disable the "fermenter" target type until this issue is resolved.

4. Hawkbox

Hawkbox Well-Known Member

IT Manager
    Based on my poking around at my one recipe and showing the numbers not changing between fermentor and kettle I'd hazard a guess that Boil Gravity is actually Pre-Boil Gravity and OG is Post-Boil Gravity.