Blichman Beer gun issues

Smitty27

Trial Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a beer gun and tried it out today. I purged the head space in the keg and set it to 5psi for bottling. The first couple bottles I tried just filled with foam. Thought maybe it was just because the bottles were too warm and the beer cold. Chilled the bottle and it didn't make much of a difference. Everything sit in the garage where its around 40F or probably a bit colder right now. I was able to figure out a bit of it and not get it to foam so much but it still had quite a bit. I went ahead a filled up a few bottle and just had to push out the foam with liquid. I've opened a few of them for people to try and they aren't nearly as carbonated as when they were kegged. Any suggestions for the beer gun?

Smitty sounds like your procedure is right on. Not sure why you're having an issue, that's pretty much how i use mine with no issue.

What length and diameter of beer line do you have?

I use 10' of 3/16" inside dia on mine.

Its the one that comes with the gun which should be 10'x 3/16. When I normally pour from the keg I can't see any bubbles and I think I only use 8', but they are everywhere in the beer gun line.

I have a different bottle filler with a a 3 way valve so its different but for best results as you stated it needs to be as cold as possible, beer the same temp as the bottles, try 1 or 2 on the pressure make sure it stays there, mine creeps up over time, have 3/16 hose as short as possible, don't have wet starsan in there, it foams too

let the foam push out until the beer hits the top, eventually you'll get the hang of it

After a couple of tries I did drop the pressure a bit which seems to have helped some. Shouldn't the line be longer to create more resistance and keep the beer in solution?

Smith

With the beer gun 10' beer line. I usually put my bottles in the freezer day before bottling. I've had no issues running around 5-6 psi. You could always contact john Blichmann. He's always responded to emails in the past.

the beer line being long just heats up the beer and more chances of air getting in, short as possible is mainly for temp control

According to John Blichman, the long narrow hose is the key to the whole system. Reducing the pressure slightly over the length of the hose, no radical bends, and the valve at the bottom of the bottle. It is not a counter-pressure filler. The pressure on the keg should be just enough to barely push the beer. If the keg is carbed up, purge the headspace and start the pressure low where the beer just trickles out, then carefully raise the CO2 pressure barely enough to get a flow. If you still foam a lot, the you got problems elsewhere. Leaks, hard corners, faulty and restrictive popets, something like that. Make sure you got it hooked up correctly. The CO2 attaches to the brass fitting w/ the button, and the beer line attaches to the stainless tube at the top. Remember cold and slow.

Thanks for the help guys! As soon as I got home from work I tried it again. Making sure everything was cold, no bends in the line, dropped the pressure and it worked much better this time. There was still a little bit of foam but it was the amount I would expect.

Smitty cap on foam helps reduce chances of oxidation. Chess, thanks for chiming in, yes the beer line length is required on the beer gun.

I recently bought a beer gun and i find it works best if the keg is left on the floor and bottles up on a table, turn gas down to bout 3psi and it works a treat with the 10 foot hose that was supplied with it, havent had a flat bottle yet, excess foam is usual the gas set too high turn it down till the beer runs smoothly..i love my beergun ive been dryhopping in cornies and bottling when its carbonated, lovely clear bottles of beer

I have never actually used a counter pressure filler, but I assume they will work as well. They do look to be more difficult to use, but I don't know from experience. I have found that after you get the beer gun dialed in properly it works great, and the more you use it, you will learn to set it up correctly every time. Because it fits in your hand and operates like a gun (like pulling triggers) I have found It to be a natural motion, and an easy fill. Nothing against counter pressure fillers, but I wouldn't trade my beer gun.

mine does work great but has one issue, the screw valve to adjust the counter pressure is also the out valve to the foam, it naturally it builds up with sugar residue and sticks horribly if left for weeks making it very hard to work with if all parts are not cleaned every time you use it

other issue is I can't bottle shorties

Back