Black Patent vs. Black Malt

Head First

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I have been toying with Porter and Stout Recipes and was thinking about the fact my LHBS only carries mostly domestic malts. I have asked for Black Patent and was pointed to the Black malt. I know there is a difference in color and taste but struggle with what terminology to help me explain the difference. Black Malt has more chocolatey flavor and Black Patent is more astringent? It's a great shop with good help but... I order my German malts online for my Oktoberfest, I can't expect them to carry every malt under the sun. I considered Black Patent to be a malt of its own, no comparables. Am I wrong or can it be changed out without changing the recipe?

you are not wrong black malt has flavor, black patent is just for color, no flavor at all unless you use too much then its harsh

I always heard they were the same, just different names used by different malt companies.

Ozarks Mountain Brew said:
http://byo.com/malt/item/155-back-in-black-the-truth-about-black-patent-malt

Just found that article this morning after posting yesterday. Its good to see some of the history behind it. I have English Black Patent and domestic Black Malt on hand and they look and taste different to me. Guess I can put this in the brew file as "dorking with stuff". The lovibond does vary by manufacturer. Caramel's or Crystal's are designated and named by color. I wonder why the difference in the Black Malts?

They are definitely different to me as well. They serve different functions.

But now I'm confused. OMB says they're different, but that article says they're the same.

I didn't even read it, thought it would stir something up lol...I have 5 pounds of black malt here and a couple of black patent, even though the specs say not much difference the black malt smells better and tastes better, the black patent is in fact blacker in color in recipes and you need less to darken beer, and I personally don't care for the taste but in small quantities you really don't taste it...so in conclusion each could pass for the other but its really up to the beholder

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_14 Apr. 22 20.52.jpg
    ScreenHunter_14 Apr. 22 20.52.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 446
Ok, that's pretty much my take on the two as well. But, I was going on memory and thought I might have been mistaken. It fails me more often than I'd like. :lol:

Back