Big mouth lid question

Ward Chillington

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey group I have a hardware fit question...maybe I missed it in the fine print but do any of you know if the new lids for the Big Mouth Bubbler fit the old style Bubblers?? I have an old glass 6 gallon that has the external threads that is a PITA to take off after a couple of weeks and some blow off residue that acts like glue. I had to make a strap wrench so I have enough torque to get the lid off and I don't like the resulting stir up of the yeast trub that takes place with my man handling of the jar...but I digress..

The new lid looks as though there is a "barbed" arrangement around the edge of the plug portion of the lid that goes inside the short neck of the bubbler creating a friction fit much like a cork in a bottle. Does anyone have some first hand experience with this and if the manufacture was thoughtful enough to make their new product backwards compatible?

Hey group I have a hardware fit question...maybe I missed it in the fine print but do any of you know if the new lids for the Big Mouth Bubbler fit the old style Bubblers?? I have an old glass 6 gallon that has the external threads that is a PITA to take off after a couple of weeks and some blow off residue that acts like glue. I had to make a strap wrench so I have enough torque to get the lid off and I don't like the resulting stir up of the yeast trub that takes place with my man handling of the jar...but I digress..

The new lid looks as though there is a "barbed" arrangement around the edge of the plug portion of the lid that goes inside the short neck of the bubbler creating a friction fit much like a cork in a bottle. Does anyone have some first hand experience with this and if the manufacture was thoughtful enough to make their new product backwards compatible?
From what I understand the "newer" lids are universal for the BMB.
Mine looks like this
16139276717891940909781898052254.jpg

I have an old glass 6 gallon that has the external threads that is a PITA to take off after a couple of weeks and some blow off residue that acts like glue.
A good coating of petroleum jelly will eliminate that. Kind-of like anti-sieze for glass threads.

Back