BIAB-RIMS Concept setup

Jari Kenter

Trial Member
Reaction score
During my internship I received the assignment to design a complete beer brewing setup.
The base of the assignment was to make a movable 75L beer brewing setup.
This had to work as automatically as possible by combining the BIAB and RIMS brewing methods.
During the design process we have made steps upon the setup, which eventually led to the following concept.

The base of the product lies with a 50L barrel.
This barrel will be supported by four legs and a plate extension to reach a capacity of 75L.
The wheels on the legs make sure that the setup is movable, where brakes are necessary to secure the product.

shpE5mZ0yTmSc1odSccJu0FGpsRW-c0z6wGQsT7UAPSum51eqChCFR5A8ySIwtcA_YcQ6qCq66nSDpPBaSRROiBIahu3Vx3AX1RjNw1rObg49fTVLraXz7m0rZ_Ysu2Mv18-KxQ

On the next picture you can see the concept assembly again.
In this case a table is added which provides information about the parts.

3mHrp3qlFsBW_nakCpwqCujA9kPz9CgChmGacZ9tZ1dCOzVazJJRM8IKq_PXIEd4jz3Gabo9rcfxMAg6QX_vMFSra63-Ea625PAkRJvPXA5eNXKDTj80FG7hoaSYx2dKxnJKvlY

The setup is provided with an inner basket. This basket has holes for the wort to flow out of the grain.
This inner basket hangs in a slot in the outer basket.

Due to the possible heavy weight of the inner basket with malt, a lift has been added to the product.
This will give the user the comfort of lifting the inner basket out of the construction.
The size of the lift can be minimized by folding the arm and lowering the post into the leg it is placed in.

ZsPCoAKTVHhIyPPhccKePHw5hi2GJpak2tSOm1qtAjEKiNGBkA3rWGyg-S4RljMfsSmb7e5CGPraHvQpQyF47xIj1yVf_NYm0EHv4VsY9gfjH1pckPlbIedzmnOkZfZXs0M8lUw

The product is provided with a RIMS-tube on the other side of the barrel.
This part is accountable for the heating of the wort. Before the wort enters the RIMS-tube,
it is being moved through a pump, ball valve and a three way valve.
With the ball valve and three way valve, the flowing speed and direction can be regulated manually.
The flow direction decides whether the wort is being cooled or heated.

yF395kYGVYUi-6VNoLybLhyUpqyey45T7xsK_M-kmvbAAY2Q5VTLgiiCZHwxU5ViDQFgUZoFzGaFOXp5vcoKQwjZqXV57TyJAURk2A1yQASn0MkU_umElbCJRcA02ZAe8loPAcI

TMWnoeXczswhkq7jtrhVk4qaHTWz8fj_wr0wv-6fBefChGiF7Cl6cNge651GeaEX1dKVoaOtpfaSpmCwBek_xsa9UJYKNHyBsEv8y7RYgv4XiB7XTWUQHVCx4b_IYCEJ9JzmpA0

FzMVvjZTgq4B76Z8dsoh4HH3YrVZNblR5rIDbpgi7zC-piP3R2jM9qbr6dIOv4J3jQTxp9JN-4wRiJqBIpF7QrOn-P1wySdv7EpCyphVgDGx-vMD0z59GeGipC869qNb7sb7eyw

In addition to the cooling, a counterflow chiller is being used.
This part rests on the bottom of the setup on a supported plate.

At last, the setup is provided with an insulation layer. This can simply be placed against the outer basket structure.
The two lower legs make sure that the insulation layer can be placed around 180° degrees of the basket.
Therefore, 2 insulation mats will be needed.

All metal parts of the concept are made of stainless steel.
The connections are made of silicone tubes, provided with the corresponding couplers.
In this way, the complete setup is food grade, which is essential for beer brewing.

For questions or feedback, feel free to leave a comment. Therefore, I can already express my appreciation for reading this forum and even more for elaborating on the concept.

Only thing I would suggest is to use multiple heating elements. To heat 75L and not scortch it, you need to spread that heat out. Maybe 3 of your RIMs tubes instead of 1.

Other idea would be to use the counterflow chiller as a herms setup. Heat the water with the RIMS tube

During my internship I received the assignment to design a complete beer brewing setup.
The base of the assignment was to make a movable 75L beer brewing setup.
This had to work as automatically as possible by combining the BIAB and RIMS brewing methods.
During the design process we have made steps upon the setup, which eventually led to the following concept.

The base of the product lies with a 50L barrel.
This barrel will be supported by four legs and a plate extension to reach a capacity of 75L.
The wheels on the legs make sure that the setup is movable, where brakes are necessary to secure the product.

shpE5mZ0yTmSc1odSccJu0FGpsRW-c0z6wGQsT7UAPSum51eqChCFR5A8ySIwtcA_YcQ6qCq66nSDpPBaSRROiBIahu3Vx3AX1RjNw1rObg49fTVLraXz7m0rZ_Ysu2Mv18-KxQ

On the next picture you can see the concept assembly again.
In this case a table is added which provides information about the parts.

3mHrp3qlFsBW_nakCpwqCujA9kPz9CgChmGacZ9tZ1dCOzVazJJRM8IKq_PXIEd4jz3Gabo9rcfxMAg6QX_vMFSra63-Ea625PAkRJvPXA5eNXKDTj80FG7hoaSYx2dKxnJKvlY

The setup is provided with an inner basket. This basket has holes for the wort to flow out of the grain.
This inner basket hangs in a slot in the outer basket.

Due to the possible heavy weight of the inner basket with malt, a lift has been added to the product.
This will give the user the comfort of lifting the inner basket out of the construction.
The size of the lift can be minimized by folding the arm and lowering the post into the leg it is placed in.

ZsPCoAKTVHhIyPPhccKePHw5hi2GJpak2tSOm1qtAjEKiNGBkA3rWGyg-S4RljMfsSmb7e5CGPraHvQpQyF47xIj1yVf_NYm0EHv4VsY9gfjH1pckPlbIedzmnOkZfZXs0M8lUw

The product is provided with a RIMS-tube on the other side of the barrel.
This part is accountable for the heating of the wort. Before the wort enters the RIMS-tube,
it is being moved through a pump, ball valve and a three way valve.
With the ball valve and three way valve, the flowing speed and direction can be regulated manually.
The flow direction decides whether the wort is being cooled or heated.

yF395kYGVYUi-6VNoLybLhyUpqyey45T7xsK_M-kmvbAAY2Q5VTLgiiCZHwxU5ViDQFgUZoFzGaFOXp5vcoKQwjZqXV57TyJAURk2A1yQASn0MkU_umElbCJRcA02ZAe8loPAcI

TMWnoeXczswhkq7jtrhVk4qaHTWz8fj_wr0wv-6fBefChGiF7Cl6cNge651GeaEX1dKVoaOtpfaSpmCwBek_xsa9UJYKNHyBsEv8y7RYgv4XiB7XTWUQHVCx4b_IYCEJ9JzmpA0

FzMVvjZTgq4B76Z8dsoh4HH3YrVZNblR5rIDbpgi7zC-piP3R2jM9qbr6dIOv4J3jQTxp9JN-4wRiJqBIpF7QrOn-P1wySdv7EpCyphVgDGx-vMD0z59GeGipC869qNb7sb7eyw

In addition to the cooling, a counterflow chiller is being used.
This part rests on the bottom of the setup on a supported plate.

At last, the setup is provided with an insulation layer. This can simply be placed against the outer basket structure.
The two lower legs make sure that the insulation layer can be placed around 180° degrees of the basket.
Therefore, 2 insulation mats will be needed.

All metal parts of the concept are made of stainless steel.
The connections are made of silicone tubes, provided with the corresponding couplers.
In this way, the complete setup is food grade, which is essential for beer brewing.

For questions or feedback, feel free to leave a comment. Therefore, I can already express my appreciation for reading this forum and even more for elaborating on the concept.

That looks great quite robust looking.
So your going to eventually build this?
Thanks for sharing your build design.

That looks pretty cool. For a 75 l batch, that's around 15 kg of dry grain, so the lift is essential. But once lifted, can it swing out of the way? I'd want to get it away from above the boil and out to the compost pile without actually lifting it.

That looks great quite robust looking.
So your going to eventually build this?
Thanks for sharing your build design.

This design will be built as a prototype once.
We might consider to market the prototype, when the design is received positively.

That looks pretty cool. For a 75 l batch, that's around 15 kg of dry grain, so the lift is essential. But once lifted, can it swing out of the way? I'd want to get it away from above the boil and out to the compost pile without actually lifting it.

The weight of the inner basket will indeed cause some problems in ergonomics.
For the moment we chose to keep the lift this way in order to have a proper design as soon as possible.
Eventually we do want to make it easy to lift the inner basket out of, and away from the entirety.

The weight of the inner basket will indeed cause some problems in ergonomics.
For the moment we chose to keep the lift this way in order to have a proper design as soon as possible.
Eventually we do want to make it easy to lift the inner basket out of, and away from the entirety.
Pity you couldn't hinge the bottom of the basket on a pin style system so maybe the operator could pull the bin and dump into a bucket or barrow /empty grain bag.

Back