BIAB _ GrainFather Sparge Water Heater-18 Ltrs

Discussion in 'Beginners Brewing Forum' started by Lefty, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Lefty

Lefty New Member

Hi,
    Due to space concerns with bottles everywhere ( and not a big beer drinker) and the desire to brew and experiment with different beer varieties, I am now thinking small batch brewing per the above, 2 to 2 and half gallons Max. I have sourced a false bottom to keep the grain off the heating element, I'll have good temperature control and will not have to do it upstairs in the kitchen. I have also ratio'd the grain/ hops etc for my next brew (SMaSH Pale Ale). Is there anything I have not taken into account or can anyone offer suggestions that may help.

2. Trialben

Trialben Well-Known Member

Pest control tech
    Sounds like the go! So your using an urn with BIAB purposes. I know another member on here brews similar.
    With BIAB crush grain smaller for better efficiency and a small sparge will also help i use a 5 lt sparge to rinse sugars from grains. I average 80% efficiency this way.

Whats your SMaSH beer?

If you wanna go long term you could try some mini kegs to save you bottleing down the track.

3. Lefty

Lefty New Member

It's a Breiss Pale Ale Malt grain, 84g of Simcoe Hops (incl boil and a secondary fermentation additions) and Danstar BRY-97 west Coast Ale Yeast. I'm hoping for clean easy drinking Pale Ale with some serious hop flavour and aromas.