best way to fix bad grind on grain

dfj

Premium Member
Reaction score
So i guess i was in a hurry and didn't notice my 8 pounds of grain did grind well
Best way to fix it at home - only have roller pin or blender unless any other ideas

How bad is it? I would think worse case you might take a little ding on efficiency, but I'd consider that fairly minor and a lot less hassle than taking a roller pin or blender to 8#'s of grain.

Similar solution as above.

Condition your malt the night before( a couple ounces of strike water mixed in well ), and brew as usual, and take notes, for later comparisons.

You could use a rubber mallet. Or simply follow the good advice given above: Mash a little longer or accept the loss in efficiency. Sorry, Crunk, I wouldn't wet condition over night - too much chance of the lactobacillus on the husks having their way with the grain....

I use a Corona mill for my grain so I basically powder it anyway. Not sure if you have kit for that but if your options are something hard and manual I would just go with a longer mash solution. A 2 hour mash isn't going to hurt anything.

well you don't really want to pulverize your grain just cracked is fine

I mash in a bag so I get away with a lot. If I get a nicer mill I might be more precise but this hasn't failed me yet.

Blender will sort it. Be reasonable though go about 3-4 cups at a time and hit it on short 5-10 second bursts. Heck its practically what I do every brew session with a glorified blender and the beers havnt done me no harm:confused::D!

Reactions: dfj
You could use a rubber mallet. Or simply follow the good advice given above: Mash a little longer or accept the loss in efficiency. Sorry, Crunk, I wouldn't wet condition over night - too much chance of the lactobacillus on the husks having their way with the grain....

I always wet condition my malts using a spray bottle before milling usually just a few hours prior to milling, this might be something to put to a test. Unless its already been done. Good point nosybear.

I wouldn't wet condition over night - too much chance of the lactobacillus on the husks having their way with the grain
That actually helps with mash pH. A few ounces of water isn't enough to make much of a difference, though. Adding that to crushed grain will probably just oxidize it.

Back