Best Bitter Recipe- would like your expertise please!

Discussion in 'Recipes for Feedback' started by Michael_biab, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Michael_biab

Michael_biab Member

Hi All! I'm looking for some feedback on how to improve my favorite British Bitter recipe. Specifically, I entered it in a BJCP competition and it got a 33.5 or "Very Good" but I'd like to improve it to the "Excellent" range (knowing that achieving World Class Example is very very difficult).

In terms of process, I'm using Brew in a Bag (BIAB), being careful to use a consistent mash temperature. I calculate and monitor Ph closely but did not adjust in the latest batch. I sanitize and watch my cleanliness carefully.

In terms of ingredients, I'm using the freshest (British) ingredients I can source. I also used a liquid yeast culture that I've had success with before (it's fairly complex) and used a yeast starter. I kept the (pellet) hops British for the sake of authenticity, but wonder if I don't need more since the judges didn't seem to pick up too much aroma. I use tap water and campden tablets to deal with chlorine, and adjusted my water slightly with gypsum to harden it.

I'm not sure what I can do and am hoping you have ideas. Thanks in advance!

Here's a link to my recipe:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/577808/union-jack-it-best-bitter

2. Ozarks Mountain Brew

Staff Member

IT Managment
    pretty standard bitter you might try Golden promise excellent grain, its my all time favorite but it does have a slight sweet taste to it some times

Michael_biab likes this.
  3. J A

J A Well-Known Member

#3 J A, Jun 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    ^^^That...or Maris Otter.
    Recipe looks fine, though I might not use anything as dark as Carafa III. Maybe a slightly larger quantity of Special B or something. Hard to read the notes, but one mentions light body. Not necessarily a fault unless it's watery but a little Carapils or little higher mash temp might bring some body back into it and that's never a bad thing with a lighter beer. Hopping looks good...not sure I'd go changing that too much.

Michael_biab likes this.
  4. Hogarthe

Hogarthe Well-Known Member

For a best bitter you have a fairly large dose of hops. Id change mash temp to 152-154 range. Your final gravity is pretty low so upping mash temp will give you a fuller beer. Other than that it looks solid. You could also try different brands of base malt to see if you like one better than the rest.

Michael_biab likes this.
  5. KC

KC Active Member

My Strong Bitter got its best feedback with fuggle as aroma hop vice others I've tried. I'd like to try Whitbread Golding if I can find it.

11B. The malt profile is typically bready, biscuity, or lightly toasty.

Using up to 1/3 white wheat, biscuit, victory, and/or toasted malt will achieve that and add the color you want without a specific color agent like carafa. Carastan covers the toasted part but any more and you may have too much toffee.

Michael_biab likes this.
  6. thehaze

thehaze Active Member

I second Golden Promise or Maris Otter for base malt, or a combination of both. I use Golden Promise for pretty much everything and it works much better ( and better suited in many styles ) than MO, but that's a different discussion.

I would not ever use any heavily roasted malts in a bitter, not even in a Extra Strong one. The roast flavour is detrimental to the overall flavour of a bitter, at least for my taste. If you want a hint of dryness / toastiness in your bitter, use Maris Otter and a combination of Crystal malts, something like a 45-60L Crystal and a little of Crystal 90L-120-160L.

My best bitters use a flavourful base malt and a combination of Crystal malts, though never over 10% of the whole grain bill. An English yeast is a must ( The Yorkshire strain is a personal favourite ), English hops ( some US/AUS/NZ varities work well as well ) and a good water profile, with a little sulfate to help dry out the beer.

Michael_biab and hundel like this.
  7. Hawkbox

Hawkbox Well-Known Member

IT Manager
    Finding Golden Promise here is almost impossible so I use Marris Otter.

8. illingwd

illingwd Member

Agree you should ditch the carafa. I guess the classic best bitter would use mostly maris otter or equivalent and up to 10% of British crystal malt. In terms of hops, I have a recipe (yet to try it) which recommends:

First wort: Challenger 20g
    10 mins: East Kent Goldings 50g
    5 mins: Challenger 30g
    1 min: East Kent Goldings 50g

Michael_biab likes this.
  9. Michael_biab

Michael_biab Member

Thanks everyone! Sounds like I have a couple of good suggestions to try to bring this one up to award level. I'll keep at it and let you know