Belle Saison Yeast?

Eagle Homebrewing

Trial Member
Reaction score
Pitched at 80° for a 1.073 OG wort. After 36 hrs doesn't seem to be doing anything. Is it possible it is done or is there something wrong. Fermentor has been between 69°-72°.

is it a bucket or glass or plastic carboy? can't rely on airlocks, could be a leak somewhere but shouldn't be done that soon for that high of gravity, I would take a peek

Bucket peeked earlier didn't see anything but was also advised to wait at least 48 hrs.

1.073 need at least 2 if not 3 packs of yeast depending on a stir plate or not and 3 times the aeration of 1 so if not than its just replicating before fermenting

I'm sure your beer is fine.
A hydrometer reading is the only true indication of whats going on with your beer. I'd start there.
Re-hydrating a dry yeast will give you more viable yeast cells and a higher cell count, just make sure you do it properly and with attention to sanitation.
Personally, I'm using 150 billion as the cell count I get from a properly stored, re-hydrated, 11.5 gram packet of yeast. This is giving me good, stable and repeatable results.
All that being said, an Belgian under-pitched is a fairly common. The excessive reproduction and weaker cells can produce many of the characteristics you may be looking for in that style of beer.
Good Luck
Brian

Give it a little more time.
I would suggest the following next time round.
Oxygenate at twice the level as a regular yeast.
Rehydrate your yeast and get the temp of your wort and yeast within 5 degrees of each other and down around 70F.
Start your fermentation at 68F, after 48 hours, let it rise freely to the low 80's.
I just started a batch with same yeast on Monday, took off at 12 hours following the above.
Good Luck, let us know how it goes.

Back