Belgian Saison WLP 565

MortgageBrewer

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
This is my first time making a Saison beer. Simple recipe...Maris Otter Pale, Saaz, and East Kent Goldings...

It's been 11 days of fermentation at about 72-74 degrees...airlock is still bubbling. Is this normal for this yeast?

Thanks for the feedback.

not sure what yeast you used, but the one saison that ive done so far, i left awhile to ferment. saisons in general tend to keep fermenting those last few points where other yeasts would just give up

not sure what yeast you used, but the one saison that ive done so far, i left awhile to ferment. saisons in general tend to keep fermenting those last few points where other yeasts would just give up

I put the yeast in the title. White Labs 565 :)

Doh, my bad.

bonehead mistake aside, hopefully something else in my post will redeem my intelligence a little bit :rolleyes:

Two saisons ive done smashed gravitydown to near 1.000 in a week! A monster of a yeast ive found very agressive fermentation i fermented 28c pitched 26 for 24hrs then let it free rise.

thats water if you ask me, too thin for my tastes but great on a hot day

thats water if you ask me, too thin for my tastes but great on a hot day
Trust me it sure dont taste like water oz if anything them two are polar opposites. This saison ive got atm is heaps prickly on the toungue nice a dry with some subtle spice yeah a thirst quencher but i wouldnt be able to throw it back like a pilsner its got some real bite to it.

This is my first time making a Saison beer. Simple recipe...Maris Otter Pale, Saaz, and East Kent Goldings...

It's been 11 days of fermentation at about 72-74 degrees...airlock is still bubbling. Is this normal for this yeast?

Thanks for the feedback.

Saison is its own animal. 2 weeks is not out of line for it. May even want to warm it a bit more and give it a swirl. Gravity may end low but flavor will be there.

upon checking my recipe, i had used this same strain. i kept the bucket under a mylar blanket, under a regular blanket, in a closet with the light on a little heater. managed to get the temperature up to mid 70s if i recall. this was during the late fall / early winter when we lived in a basement condo too.

11 days is a bit long, but it depends on the pitch rate, gravity, viability, etc.

Let it go to 21 days and take a sample. You should be down to anticipated FG.

Thanks for the replies. Still bubbling every 10-15 seconds or so. I'll let it go another week and take a sample. This is for a wedding on 5-21 so I have some time :)

Bottle condition or force carbonate?

If bottle conditioning, I recommend smaller (12 oz) bottles for speed of conditioning. Large format (22 oz, 750 ml) can take up to a month to fully condition. I don't have science or even a reason, just experience.

If bottle conditioning, I recommend smaller (12 oz) bottles for speed of conditioning. Large format (22 oz, 750 ml) can take up to a month to fully condition. I don't have science or even a reason, just experience.

I'm kegging this batch and will force carb over 3 days.

I recommend bottle conditioning with this yeast. And give it some time, the flavors will mature and come together nicely over a couple of months.

Back