Belgian IPA

Smitty27

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how a Belgian and an IPA mix will end up but I guess I'm about to find out. What I'm looking for in this recipe is a good mix of maltiness and hops. For the hops I've chosen to first wort and the rest late additions to try and create a smoother hop profile. I'm also thinking about dry hopping but I'll see if I need to or not once the fermentation is complete. I'm also going to do a decoction mash. I know decoctions aren't needed anymore but I've never done one so I figured I'd give it a try. Another reason for the decoction is to try and get a bit more efficiency out and malt character out of it. I could sparge and dramatically increase my efficiency but that's not what I'm looking for right now.

I'm also debating using either Wyeast 3522 or 1388. Leaning more towards 3522 but I haven't used either one, any suggestions?

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Belgian Specialty Ale
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.045
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.059
Final Gravity: 1.015
ABV (standard): 5.77%
IBU (tinseth): 52.39
SRM (morey): 12.59

FERMENTABLES:
6 lb - Belgian - Pale Ale (49%)
4 lb - Belgian - Munich (32.7%)
16 oz - Belgian Candi Syrup - Amber - (late addition) (8.2%)
10 oz - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (5.1%)
10 oz - Flaked Barley (5.1%)

HOPS:
2 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: First Wort, IBU: 30.54
1 oz - saaz, Type: Pellet, AA: 4, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 8.73
1 oz - saaz, Type: Pellet, AA: 4, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 5.22
1 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Aroma for 5 min, IBU: 5.03
1 oz - saaz, Type: Pellet, AA: 4, Use: Aroma for 5 min, IBU: 2.87

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 130 F, Time: 20 min
2) Infusion, Temp: 149 F, Time: 60 min
3) Infusion, Temp: 168 F, Time: 15 min
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.5 qt/lb

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 tsp - irish moss, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil
2 oz - orange zest, Type: Flavor, Use: Secondary
1 oz - coriander (crushed), Type: Spice, Use: Secondary

YEAST:
Wyeast - Belgian Ardennes 3522
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 74%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 65 - 85 F
Fermentation Temp: 70 F
Pitch Rate: 1.0 (M cells / ml / deg P)

TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Profile Name: Aurora, CO Municipal Water
Ca2: 48
Mg2: 16
Na: 45
Cl: 37
SO4: 53
HCO3: 142
Water Notes:
Calcium Chloride 4 grams
Gypsum 4 grams

To me Belgian and IPA should never be used together. The combination of phenol and bitter tastes vaguely poisonous, particularly if the beer has a high level of phenols. I like malty, spicy Belgians and bitter, floral, sweet IPA but not combined. Personal opinion, yours may be different. Brew it well and it could be good.

Smutty, are you brewing in Aurora? Saw you using the profile I posted. BTW, Ca is 37 ppm, Mg is 8.

Yeah, I just moved to Aurora from Colorado Springs. I pulled the water profile from the website and just went with that but I'll go in and adjust it. Thanks!

I've heard the same thing about Belgians and IPA. That the mix just isn't good but I figured there has to be a good way to do it. Flying Dog makes one that I might have to find and try to see how there's came out. I had one at the River North brewer here is Denver that was a Belgian Double IPA with over 100 IBUs and it was awesome but that just me. The hops where very smooth and I would have never guess it was that high.

Its been a while but I think this is the one ---> http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/28551/79322/

for that hop combination just replace the Belgian - Pale Ale with 2 row and cut way back on the flaked barley and you'll be fine

Bring the results to the Brew Hut's homebrew night in March. I'd love to both meet you and be proven wrong about Belgian IPAs.

I'll be bringing it there in March. Just found out about it and wanted to get some good feedback on my brews. I'm about to head down there to go and pick up the ingredients now. I've found a couple different yeast strains that might work well with this. They tend to be a bit lighter in terms of "Belgian Flavor" but I don't know if I'll find it or not.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Sounds like a good hoppy Belgian. I like strong hoppy Belgians but isn't that just what this is? How does India Pale Ale fit in this beer? It just makes IBU but has no English malts with it or even the same malt character. Yes American IPA's use American malts, and also American hops but Belgian IPA? Wouldn't this make the BJCP guys pull their hair out? Try a little more orange zest :lol: .

ha ha yeah unfortunately Ive been there Im with Nosybear on this one with the Belgian grains and love the flavor but very rich malty tasting just on their own, mixing heavy malts with certain hops just seems to clash and while very drinkable, just doesn't give you the I can't get enough feeling

I was able to find some yeast that will let the hop character shine without too much Belgian flavors clashing with it. Its the WLP515 Antwerp yeast. I'm not sure how this thing is going to turn out. I can't say I'm a fan of IPAs in general but I figured I should try to make one anyways and why not make things interesting and try it Belgian style.

I figured if this one doesn't succeed I'll try it again with two batches, a bold Belgian yeast and a very clean yeast like 1056 and blend the two to taste. Eventually I'll come up with something good.

I finally got some kegs and this beer is now in there and carbonated. I really enjoy this one. So much so as soon as its gone I'm making more. The only issue is that there isn't much Belgian character to it so I'm not sure if I can call this a Belgian IPA but its a good one so I'm happy.

Here is my final recipe:
This was done with a decoction mash 131,146,152, mashout

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.058
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV (standard): 5.79%
IBU (tinseth): 54.06
SRM (morey): 11.79

FERMENTABLES:
6 lb - Belgian - Pilsner (50%)
4 lb - Belgian - Munich (33.3%)
16 oz - Belgian Candi Syrup - Amber - (late addition) (8.3%)
10 oz - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (5.2%)
6 oz - Flaked Barley (3.1%)

HOPS:
2 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7.1, Use: First Wort, IBU: 31.4
1 oz - saaz, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.6, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 7.96
2 oz - saaz, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.6, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 9.53
1 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7.1, Use: Aroma for 5 min, IBU: 5.17
Dry Hop - 1 week with 1oz Mosaic IBU: 11.6

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 oz - coriander, Time: 15 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil
1 tsp - irish moss, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil
1.7 oz - tangelo zest, Time: 5 min, Type: Flavor, Use: Boil

YEAST:
White Labs - Antwerp Ale Yeast WLP515

1623754_809196575763779_400100573_n.jpg

the hops will fade over time and if you haven't over carbed it you will get the true backbone flavor, looks good :D

It's a pretty beer, can hardly wait to taste.... And may not have to quite as long. We're starting a homebrew club out of the Brew Hut - first meeting is the last Sunday in February at 6:00. Keep monitoring the Brew Hut's site and come join us!

That would be fantastic! Too bad I'll be at work then unless your talking about 6am Sunday morning but most aren't up that early on a Sunday. I'll definitely keep my eye out for it though and hopefully I will be able to make it to one of them.

Back