Belgian Dubbel

Brewer #340326

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm trying to brew a cherry Belgian Dubbel and it saids from the fermentables that I have to add some Belgian Candi Sugar - late addition...
Can some can explain to me when exactly the recipe means to do ? when should I add the Candi sugar ?

thanks for your help
happy brewing
all the best
Vince

Hi guys

I'm trying to brew a cherry Belgian Dubbel and it saids from the fermentables that I have to add some Belgian Candi Sugar - late addition...
Can some can explain to me when exactly the recipe means to do ? when should I add the Candi sugar ?

thanks for your help
happy brewing
all the best
Vince

I'd probably add it at flame out personally, so you don't scorch the bottom of the pot.

I don't do much with sugars but that would be my method, someone may be along to correct me though. ;)

Also, just use the same weight of table sugar, unless you're using the darker syrups. Saves you a bit of money.

I use the D240 Candi Syrop (black as night) in my black IPA. It helps thin/dry it out a bit and boosts the ABV. I add it 5 or 10 minutes before flame out. I will just run the whirlpool and drizzle it in slowly so it doesn't sink straight to the bottom and scorch. If you don't have a pump to whirlpool you could just stir as drizzle it in.

Welcome to Brewers Freind by the way.

Also, just use the same weight of table sugar, unless you're using the darker syrups. Saves you a bit of money.
Truth. If it is a lighter one like D45, it is really just an expensive simple sugar. I learned this from Nosy!

For dark sugars, I use Louisiana unrefined cane syrup. Local ingredient, nice residual flavor after fermentation.

The last couple of times I have used sugars, depending on the amount, I pull off a quart of the boiling wort to dissolve the sugar and then pour that in between 10 and 5 min left in the boil. It brings the boil temp down a bit but not enough to stop it.

The last couple of times I have used sugars, depending on the amount, I pull off a quart of the boiling wort to dissolve the sugar and then pour that in between 10 and 5 min left in the boil. It brings the boil temp down a bit but not enough to stop it.
I use the same technique. Helps to prevent scorching.

That's a good idea, I never thought of it before.

Great idea! Next time I am adding sugar, syrop, or honey, I will do this at the same time I add the chiller. Might as well just have one temperature drop. As my Brewzilla is the 120V unit, I have been preheating my chiller to mitigate the lag in coming back to a boil.

Back