Belated Intro

RalphK

Trial Member
Reaction score
Well, I have already used all of your knowledge with nary an introduction! So here goes. I live in Hout Bay (google it ;-) ) and during lock down for 'rona I started watching the apartment brewer and several others on youtube. I was enthralled! And so, without a thought about the complexity of this thing I had my wife sew up a cotton bag and bought some malt, hops and yeast from the local home brew supply store. It was an all grain "kit" and came with instructions. The beer was not bad at all. So I bought more malt and yeast and made up my own recipe. The result was exceedingly tasty and did not last long. So here I am, hooked on home brewing like just another crack addict! And as every new brewer finds out - patience is a thing! Thanks all for your welcome and helpful advice. I hope I can help others as i have been helped to brew the nectar of the gods.

Welcome!

I did google it. It looks beautiful.

Well, I have already used all of your knowledge with nary an introduction! So here goes. I live in Hout Bay (google it ;-) ) and during lock down for 'rona I started watching the apartment brewer and several others on youtube. I was enthralled! And so, without a thought about the complexity of this thing I had my wife sew up a cotton bag and bought some malt, hops and yeast from the local home brew supply store. It was an all grain "kit" and came with instructions. The beer was not bad at all. So I bought more malt and yeast and made up my own recipe. The result was exceedingly tasty and did not last long. So here I am, hooked on home brewing like just another crack addict! And as every new brewer finds out - patience is a thing! Thanks all for your welcome and helpful advice. I hope I can help others as i have been helped to brew the nectar of the gods.
I never gave a formal introduction either, am I a bad forum member?

Welcome Ralph!
A couple of my friends and aquitences are from your area. I've never been there though

Also welcome Ralph! Sorry for hijacking your thread for a second there. Also sorrey, eh?

Googled Hout Bay. Looks nice. Makes me think of someplace like Malibu

Well, my sister lives in Oakville and I have visited a few times, so I am practically Canadian as well ;). But my brother in law says I am not welcome in his house because I support the Habs :p Thank you all for the welcome. And Hout Bay really is beautiful!:)

@Craigerrr might have similar feelings there...
I can tolerate the Habs as long as they aren't playing the Sabres. You watch a lot of hockey down there in SA?
Nope. I don't think it is available. Although I haven't tried to sub to the hockey channel on my apple tv, but I suspect it is region specific. Hockey is very tiny in South Africa where everyone is soccer, rugby and cricket mad. So I loosely follow by looking up scores etc. I am mostly a Habs fan because Montreal is a beautiful city and because of Carey Price who had one of the most amazing seasons when my wife and I last visited.

I used to listen to Sabres games on internet radio when I lived outside the Buffalo/NY market but you really have to be a die-hard to follow hockey on the radio. Isn't for everyone. Never been to Montreal but would like to see it someday. Here in Rochester a lot of our lakeside neighbors have experienced significant flooding with high water levels and our beaches have mostly disappeared under water. The international joint commission won't release more water into the St. Lawrence because it would flood Montreal. I think it's probably worth it but I live like 15 miles inland so I'm not sure I'd feel the same if I had lakeside property.
Price, when he's on his game, is something else. He was the main reason the Penguins didn't want the best of 5 format for the play-in round knowing they'd have to face Montreal and Price. Turns out they were right.

Welcome Ralph. Sounds like you're off to a great start.

Welcome Ralph. Sounds like you're off to a great start.
Thanks! I am! I'm loving the process and was, until now, mainly a wine drinker. But this home brewed beer is better than the commercial stuff and has really got me excited.

Back