Beer on tap...

Smitty27

Trial Member
Reaction score
I happen to come across a milk stout last night on a nitro tap. I haven't ever been a big fan of stouts or especially milk stouts but this beer was amazing and I was so happy that I ordered it. It was like a liquid chocolate oatmeal cookie. I only know of one place in Colorado that makes a milk stout and that's Left Hand Brewery. My question is what is it about beer on tap that makes it better? I've tried bottled stouts before and didn't care for them but this is the second time I've tried a stout on tap that was awesome. The other time was Guinness when I was in Germany I think but was much better than a bottle of Guinness. Thanks!

The tap itself can make a big difference in how the flavor comes across. A push with Nitrogen will also enhance the experience.
I also would have an occasional stout but never was a huge fan of them.
Now I have it on tap always! It's great!
Brian

It might be as much about it being on a nitrogen tap as anything else that made the beer taste better for you. Nitrogen behaves differently from CO2 in terms of its solution into beer; it will result in a smoother creamier feel, which is really good in some styles where being carbonated is not a desired result. I just read a pretty decent article on the topic, link below...

http://www.byo.com/kegging/item/1492-th ... gen-effect

Good article, thanks for the link. I can't wait to get a keg setup. So many more options are available when you can keg. I'm sure its a matter of personal taste. I've got a co-worker that doesn't care for nitrogen and prefers CO2 but for me it was really creamy and smooth with a tan head that never went away. If I can recreate the same stout when I get a keg system there will always be a dedicated milk stout tap. :D

I think it depends on personal tastes and also the style of beer. Certain beers just aren't that good when they are carbonated, while others are thrown way off if they're carbed too much, or really at all. Technically, a nitro-tapped beer is really not carbonated, it nitrogenated, though for home uses you have to have a blend. I'm not sure if it was in the article, but they are using nitrogen more in tire inflation because the tires stay inflated better, longer. So I'm sure that's playing a role as well, the molecules are actually larger or something.

Back