Beer for Christmas

Cgdavis

Trial Member
Reaction score
So id like to brew beer for a few family members for Christmas and I already have one picked out but need two more. With a small amount of time, anybody have any suggestions on what I should do? The first is a dunkelweizen. I'd like them to be a variety, so maybe an IPA and an American ale? Any other suggestions?

What process are you using ? ie kits , extract , partials or AG
there's a mind boggling array of recipes out there that are tried and tested for whichever way you're getting that precious sweet wort ( first world problems )
End of the day it comes down to what you want in the glass
Where i live Christmas is usually over 40 C ( 104 F ) so spiced beers and dark beers wouldn't go down well , clean lagers and ales just about disappear , APA's vanish and i swear i had a full glass of that IPA a second ago

BYO had a nice recipe for a Chocolate Cinnamon and Hazelnut stout. Makes a great desert beer.

So I have a porter, the dr's golden ale, and white Christmas converted to 2 gallon batches and the supplies will be bought today! Thank you guys, can't wait to start brewing these!

I did a "speed" lager for 4th of July last summer and it went over very well. It went 21 days from grain to keg and carbed at 35 for 4 days. It was great. I did it with a big leftover slurry from a Helles yeast which blew through the fermentation in no time but left a little fruitiness that would lagered out if it sat for a while. I'd have no hesitation starting something like that and kegging it for consumption at Christmas...in fact I may do it - I'm getting low on basic "plain" beer and I need to think about getting a couple of quick batches going. :)

Yeah I lik
I did a "speed" lager for 4th of July last summer and it went over very well. It went 21 days from grain to keg and carbed at 35 for 4 days. It was great. I did it with a big leftover slurry from a Helles yeast which blew through the fermentation in no time but left a little fruitiness that would lagered out if it sat for a while. I'd have no hesitation starting something like that and kegging it for consumption at Christmas...in fact I may do it - I'm getting low on basic "plain" beer and I need to think about getting a couple of quick batches going. :)
e experimenting with different beers but its always good to have a "plain" beer too. I haven't brewed many batches anyway so I need to practice with basics. I'd love to start brewing with single grains and taste the differences.

Reactions: J A
One more thing: for a winter beer you can't go wrong with a strong Scotch ale. I like strong Scotch ale a lot and recommend it for pretty much all occasions, so I'm biased.

That Smurtos is one of the most brewed recipes in Australia , I use extra Rye and bump up the IBUs to make my house pale .

Depending which version you brew it really is a very approachable beer for those either new to craft beer or just mainstream drinkers flirting with craft beer
Out of interest what recipe you using on that one ?

Changed the recipe for the porter slightly
3.2 lb pale malt 2 row
.4 black malt
.4 caramel crystal malt 10
.4 Victory

.8 Fuggle hops 60 min

Back