Barrel aging questions

Group W

Trial Member
Reaction score
I have a stout (N.S.) on tap that is kegged and carbonated and want to move two gallons into a used 2 gal. whiskey barrel. I get the purging with CO2 and other O2 minimizing processes.

1. Is it okay to put cold, carbonated beer in a barrel?

2. If yes, how long should it stay there as a test?

3. Do I need an air-lock on it? Since the beer is cold now, it will expand as it warms to room temp (~67*f)

4. Any suggestions?

I look at this as similar to filling a growler. It’s only good for a few days or a week maybe before it oxidizes. With fermentation complete, oxidation is going to be a major challenge with long term aging in an oak barrel, even with purging with Co2 as the wood is holding oxygen that would be hard to purge out.

I look at this as similar to filling a growler. It’s only good for a few days or a week maybe before it oxidizes. With fermentation complete, oxidation is going to be a major challenge with long term aging in an oak barrel, even with purging with Co2 as the wood is holding oxygen that would be hard to purge out.
I was afraid of that. Probably should use the keg as secondary fermenter. Right?

Wish I could help with that, but I haven’t barrel aged any brews yet. That being said, I would guess that you’ll need enough fermentation to purge out the oxygen during CO2 production, and I’m sure a better answer is coming.

From what I gather, beer does better in large barrels (as do spirits) because there's to much surface area and you can't really age. Small batches of beer do better with chips, staves, spirals, etc. That said, I have no hands on experience. Just spewing what I've read/heard.
Fill the barrel with cheap rum!

Back