Barrel Aged Imperial Stout

Discussion in 'Recipes for Feedback' started by Pete-Hoff, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Pete-Hoff

Pete-Hoff New Member

I am putting together a recipe for a barrel aged imperial stout It'll be a PM recipe, shooting for ABV ~10%, IBU ~65-70, and SRM 40+. Still undecided on hops but I'm leaning towards either Bravo or Chinook for the bittering paired with a middle to late addition of either Cascade or Centennial.

I'm going for something that is very full body, lots of roasty, chocolate, and coffee notes with a hint of smokiness (from the smoke grains I'm going to experiment with). What sweetness there is I just want it to balance the roastiness and not be to overpowering ending with a somewhat dry finish.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/938388/the-devils-cut

2. AGbrewer

AGbrewer Active Member

Dme should help with some residual sweetness. Give the amounts of dark grain and bittering hops, I'd think you would be just fine for what you are looking for. If not, just tweak it and brew again.:)

Let me know how it comes out.

3. Bubba Wade

Bubba Wade Well-Known Member

Controls & Instrumentation Engineer
    Home Page:
    Chinook makes a nice bittering hop that does not seem to alter the character of the beer too much.

4. Mark D Pirate

Mark D Pirate Well-Known Member

Master carpenter , all round good guy
    Did a RIS last weekend with a mate, OG of 1.103 and it's headed for a ex JD bourbon barrel along with 8 other brewers.
    Really looking forward to tasting last year's vintage

Trialben and Megary like this.
  5. Pete-Hoff

Pete-Hoff New Member

Ya I've thought about using Chinook but since I already have Bravo on hand figured I go with that. I've used in a similar stout recipe before with good results so I figured I'd go with it on this one. I have access to a used 5 gallon whiskey barrel from a local distiller that I plan on aging this beer in for a 6 months or longer.