Bar Pet Peeves

jmcnamara

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
When you go to a bar, what are some of your pet peeves?

I think my biggest one is when I see the bartender or waiter grab the top of the glass when serving it to me. absolutely disgusting

1 Service. If somebody doesn't come over to serve me within a reasonable time I will leave.
2 Not having a beer list on the table or wall or bringing one with them when you know they serve multiple micro's and rotate taps.
Ever have that wait-person say "I think one is an IPA from somewhere and there is I think an amber something".

I have a regular place where they know me, so i don't deal with a whole lot of issues. My biggest pet peeve is when the bar is either packed. OR, the back back bar is known as a craft beer bar, and sometimes late at night people will sit back there and just say things that are completely untrue about beer, and try and act like they are knowledgable. Takes a lot for me to not lose it. One night i was talking to a guy, and finally i said, "oh so you work at a brewery?" No he didn't. "Oh so then you must have friends who do?" No he didn't. "Well obviously you must homebrew?" No he didn't. Grains of salt.

When bartenders would rather talk to pals than serve me a beer.

Really? What would you charge?

I like to pay for beer, not 'ambience'. $2 a beer is a reasonable top price - that's $12 a six-pack, which is in the range of what most decent beers cost at grocery stores. Bars around here typically start at $5 - $7 each. :eek:

Unless there's a well-recommended brewpub whose product is only available on-site and on tap, I generally avoid paying for all the overhead of a loud, busy, sometimes smelly bar to drink my beer in. Dinner out with the family is different, of course.

By comparison, my own homebrew averages $.60 to $.75 a beer in material cost, and I get to enjoy it in quiet comfortable surroundings with family and friends.

When bartenders would rather talk to pals than serve me a beer.

I absolutely hate that and stopped going to bars just for the lousy service and loud drunks, sticky floors.
years ago i would throw my clothes right in the washer, they stunk of smoke so bad it was ridicules, I'm sure today its different in real pubs, sports or patio bars,

I just just refuse to pay for over price beer when I don't even like the atmosphere so I drink my own or drink water

I like to pay for beer, not 'ambience'. $2 a beer is a reasonable top price - that's $12 a six-pack, which is in the range of what most decent beers cost at grocery stores. Bars around here typically start at $5 - $7 each. :eek:

Unless there's a well-recommended brewpub whose product is only available on-site and on tap, I generally avoid paying for all the overhead of a loud, busy, sometimes smelly bar to drink my beer in. Dinner out with the family is different, of course.

By comparison, my own homebrew averages $.60 to $.75 a beer in material cost, and I get to enjoy it in quiet comfortable surroundings with family and friends.
That's the same reason restaurant food costs more than grocery store. You'll always be stuck paying for ambience. Which includes labor and other overhead.

That's the same reason restaurant food costs more than grocery store. You'll always be stuck paying for ambience. Which includes labor and other overhead.

Very true, and if that's what you're after then it's well worth it. Though I don't go to restaurants often either, largely because of the noise and crowds. I can't remember the last time I ate at a restaurant where it wasn't difficult to hear my family members speak. What's the point of a social event if it's so hard to socialize...

So now that I think of it, perhaps my biggest pet peeve is how damned noisy bars are!! But maybe that's just here in Ca...

i remember how cheap drinks are in the US compared to here , most draught beers are $6-7 here for a SA Pint (425 ml )
Happy hour they are $4
night clubs or yuppy pubs expect to pay $10 for basic spirit and mixer
carton of average commercial stubbies ( 24 x 375 ml ) is around $50 for full strength

I remember in 1988 going to Church Street Station in (or near) Orlando, Florida. I was 21-22 and we paid $9 for a pitcher of Stroh's (cheap beer that sold for $3.50 at home.) we drank that stuff like it was liquid gold. Only one pitcher that night!

if your cheap even today you can buy the older lagers here for $13 for an 18 pack, to me its water but I guess people like it

If you live near a Trader Joe's, check out their Josephsbrau line. $5.99 a six pack for some pretty decent brew. Plznr, Radner, Stout, Maibock, Bohemian, Heller Bock, Doppelbock, Summer Kolsch, Hefeweisen, Vienna Lager...

This is what we mostly drink, and of course where most or our bottles come from!

How about when you order a flight and they don't know what they poured or reverse it.

How about when you order a flight and they don't know what they poured or reverse it.

I have to say the small breweries around here do know what they serve. Never had a flight messed up(that would really suck). It's the local bars that don't know what they are serving unless its yellow fuzzy beer.

I have to say the small breweries around here do know what they serve. Never had a flight messed up(that would really suck). It's the local bars that don't know what they are serving unless its yellow fuzzy beer.
Never had it happen at a brewery but more than once at s craft beer bar

Back