Bad Brew

dave althouse

Trial Member
Reaction score
I did my first BIAB, got the pre-boil OG 1.040, (1.050 into the fermentor) which was what the recipe indicated. The recipe was a belgian wit, 6.5 # grain and wyeast 3944. I came up about a gallon short of my batch size so I boiled an extra gallon of water and added a pound of DME. Put the primary in the basement where it's about 63 degrees. I have had little yeast activity. I got a little bit of foam and a little bit of bubbles in the airlock. I waited a couple days and added some dry yeast thinking the first batch was dead. Been about 5 days and it is just sitting there clouding with no activity at all. Hate to think I have to dump it.

Have you checked gravity?

It could be done. You may not have seen the most active part of fermentation. Adding a pound of DME with a gallon of water would slightly dilute your original estimate. That would need to be taken into account if you are trying to figure out ABV

OK checked the gravity and it's 1.010, again according to the recipe it should be 1.012. I have never had a yeast take off and be done in a such a short time. I moved to a secondary just because I added the extra yeast, don't know if it would be needed or not. So should I continue with this brew?

thanks

Always continue!

Have you given it a taste? That's the first indicator. Even then, if it tastes off a bit, I would still stick with it for awhile. If it tastes like ass, then do what you think best. I hate to dump a beer. I've had too many come around.

Forge ahead! Might as well see it to the end and see how it turns out.

Patience, Grasshopper! First, 63 degrees sounds low for a Belgian yeast - I didn't see which you used but since you mentioned a Wit, I'm assuming a higher temperature yeast. Second, it's a Wit, it's supposed to be cloudy! Wit yeast is not very flocculant - it doesn't settle out. And if you did it right with unmalted wheat, you'll have some starch haze that will never settle out of the beer. First, your gravity beat your estimate - good attenuation meaning the yeast did its job well or your wort was highly attenuable. Second, taste it and if it tastes good, bottle it. Haze is normal and desired for this style.

63 is a tad low for most Belgian yeast types. Wait a couple of days and take another gravity reading. If its not moving then you are done. Give it a taste, if it taste good then bottle/Keg then enjoy!

Back