Back to brewing in Austin, Texas

J A

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody
I've reconnected with brewing in the last couple of months. The last time I brewed was back in the 80's. Moving around a few times and kids and life in general got in the way of keeping up a relatively equipment-heavy hobby. Not sure why I never got back to it over the years, but I've enjoyed rediscovering homebrewing.
I found Mr. Beer kits at clearance prices and picked up several of those to get started. From there, I've set up for BIAB mashing and larger batches (though I have to say, those Mr. Beer 2 1/2 gallon barrel-shaped fermenters are handy as hell for throwing together a small extract batch to test out a recipe idea)
I've been using the Bewer's Friend calculator from the beginning of my re-learning process and it's been a huge help in figuring what to do and what happens. I'm looking forward to corresponding with and learning from more experienced brewers here on the forum.

J A

J A said:
Hello everybody
I've reconnected with brewing in the last couple of months. The last time I brewed was back in the 80's. Moving around a few times and kids and life in general got in the way of keeping up a relatively equipment-heavy hobby. Not sure why I never got back to it over the years, but I've enjoyed rediscovering homebrewing.
I found Mr. Beer kits at clearance prices and picked up several of those to get started. From there, I've set up for BIAB mashing and larger batches (though I have to say, those Mr. Beer 2 1/2 gallon barrel-shaped fermenters are handy as hell for throwing together a small extract batch to test out a recipe idea)
I've been using the Bewer's Friend calculator from the beginning of my re-learning process and it's been a huge help in figuring what to do and what happens. I'm looking forward to corresponding with and learning from more experienced brewers here on the forum.

J A

Haha, You sound like me. I got back into the hobby close to a yr ago and have really enjoyed some incredible advancements that have allowed me to make some really great brews. Sanitation, software, and just general knowledge have changed dramatically from my early days of homebrewing.
It may sound funny to some homebrewers these days, but just having software like Brewers Friend, Priceless Biab Calculator, and Starsan at your fingertips are just incredible.

thunderwagn said:
Haha, You sound like me. I got back into the hobby close to a yr ago and have really enjoyed some incredible advancements that have allowed me to make some really great brews. Sanitation, software, and just general knowledge have changed dramatically from my early days of homebrewing.
It may sound funny to some homebrewers these days, but just having software like Brewers Friend, Priceless Biab Calculator, and Starsan at your fingertips are just incredible.

Isn't that the truth...When I brewed in the 80's there was a small homebrew supply store and they sold books and there were a couple of magazines. That was the only source of information. It's amazing to think how how much more accessible homebrewing (not to mention information technology) have become over the years.

Hello everybody

J A
Wanted to say "hi" since I am a Texas brewer too. Cheers!

Reactions: J A
Howdy!
Look up the SAAZ group on Facebook. It's our local South Austin brewing club. New Braunfels isn't so far from Austin and you'd enjoy making it to some of our "meetings" or other other functions.
;)

Most of the brewers i have met through clubs have been great , planning a trip back to the US so i may even include celebrity appearances at brew clubs over there

( more novelty that celebrity , don't burst my bubble )

Maryland ? DC is on itinerary so will be in the area
Planning on flying into NYC and doing a bike trip of East coast all the way down to Texas , over to Cali and fly home
Done the west coast already , route 66 in a classic mustang was a cliche but i loved it ...

Welcome and happy brewing. When I met my husband in 1989 he was making extract recipes but stopped brewing when we bought our house (it seemed like there was always something that needed work) I always regretted that we stopped brewing and finally talked him into letting me try all grain BIAB small batches a couple of years ago. Ingredients and equipment so much better now and small batch brewing makes for a quick brewing day. Always something bubbling away.

Back