Auto siphon disaster

yegnal

Trial Member
Reaction score
I've used the auto siphon and never experienced anything like this, caused me to lose an entire batch of beer....

Simply wouldn't continue to siphon, pumped it until it started flowing, then it would stop. It got to the point where I was basically using the auto siphon as a hand pump...

Carboy was high, bottling bucket was low, bottom of auto siphon wasn't clogged, tubing was correctly sized and clamped in place.

The only thing I could figure was that the tubing was kind of short. It ended at the top of the bottling bucket. I'm thinking maybe longer tubing would have created more suction ?

Gotta say I'm gonna go back to a racking cane. It's the same dam thing and never had any issues...

I tried using a clamp on where the hose meets the autosiphon. Tighten the heck out if it until it almost snaps.
The rubber gasket inside the siphon might also be bad.
I've since switched to using CO2 to push the beer out of the carboy and into the bottling bucket or keg. Much much easier

Yeah, so I did some testing because the issue was simply insane. I had everything set and clamped...

But, I couldn't siphon with a racking cane either..

Switched to 3/8 ID tubing and everything was fine. I guess 5/16 ID was slightly restrictive causing diminished flow.

Think of the end of your tube as a hole in the bucket. The lower it is, the faster the flow. If it’s higher than the bucket, you won’t get any flow.

Is something in your siphon cracked, not sealing well? I don’t use a hose clamp on mine.

The too I think was a big issue, tubing was shorter than it should have been

I use the 1/2" auto siphon and use 1/2" id silicone hose thats very flexible, never had a problem since i switched

Back