Anybody ever brewed or consumed a wheatwine?

Sunfire96

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I was looking through the new guidelines from BJCP and discovered a style called wheatwine. Has anyone tried one? Here's the style notes:

Overall Impression: A richly textured, high alcohol sipping beer with a significant grainy, bready flavor, and a sleek body. The emphasis is first on the bready, wheaty flavors with malt, hops, fruity yeast, and alcohol complexity.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.080 – 1.120 IBUs: 30 – 60 FG: 1.016 – 1.030 SRM: 6 – 14 ABV: 8.0 – 12.0%

Never heard of it, but sounds good

I was looking through the new guidelines from BJCP and discovered a style called wheatwine. Has anyone tried one? Here's the style notes:

Overall Impression: A richly textured, high alcohol sipping beer with a significant grainy, bready flavor, and a sleek body. The emphasis is first on the bready, wheaty flavors with malt, hops, fruity yeast, and alcohol complexity.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.080 – 1.120 IBUs: 30 – 60 FG: 1.016 – 1.030 SRM: 6 – 14 ABV: 8.0 – 12.0%
Never had one, but now I want one.

Weizenbock? Sounds very similar...

Had a few and there's a recipe in the queue, but not confident I know what I want it to taste like to start brewing it yet. The ones I've tried are fairly different from each other. I've enjoyed most of them, big boozy taste, huge body. Some have had a fruit or barrel addition. The huge wheat grain bill definitely gives it that difference from a barley wine, but it's still pretty close in taste and experience.

I have one fermenting now - gunna bottle it this weekend. I will try to come back and post a link to my youtube when I upload the video in about 2 1/2 weeks.
Nice! Please keep us posted :)

Yup there's a couple that come to mind but my favourite is definitely oblivious by Griffin claw brewing company in Michigan. Not much if any distribution, but it's delicious.

Basically just a high or all wheat grain bill version of a barleywine.

My wheat wine is done and it turned out great ! I was going to post a link to the video but it goes live Monday and can't get youtube to let me do a preview link so I will post a link here on Monday :)

My wheat wine is done and it turned out great ! I was going to post a link to the video but it goes live Monday and can't get youtube to let me do a preview link so I will post a link here on Monday :)
Excellent!

Back