Any reptile identifiers out there?

Ward Chillington

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So sports fans....what do I have here? Cornsnake or what I hope it's not?

20210522_165918.jpg

Where are you located geographically? That'll help me narrow it down a bit :) at least I don't see a rattle!

Where are you located geographically? That'll help me narrow it down a bit :) at least I don't see a rattle!

South Central Pennsylvania, Gettysburg

As far as that...I don't think, despite the little fellow shaking his tail, I don't see a button and I do know many snakes play that "don't tread on me" game..I've had banded water snakes and even black racers do that.

My first guess is a juvenile gopher snake. Totally harmless. It will be great for rodent control when it gets bigger. If you've got a wood pile out somewhere, it would be very happy there

Some non venomous snakes have adapted the "tail shake" behavior because it deters predators. No one wants to f*ck with a rattlesnake

Final guess is juvenile eastern rat snake. Non venomous :)

We were always taught to treat every snake as venomous when relocating them, just in case. Be careful, wear tall rubber boots if you have them to protect your calves, but if I were you I'd be thrilled to have the help with pest control

The only good snake is the one that isn't near me.

I tried to post video of some more More BMF behavior by the little guy but the site doesn't like MP4s:(

Today's WTF from cleaning up the pond...pollywogs?polygons?

Attachments

• 20220423_134919.jpg
    20220423_134919.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 59
Looks like aliens in your pond again. No worries, they don't eat humans.

Today was the miracle of the 7 goldfish.... The 6 that we got last Summer made it through the Winter and there's actually one other big one left from the original 40 plus that we had before the owls came in and had a Midnight snack

Back