Any input on a partial mash Brown Ale before I brew it?

That's a LOT of melanoidin! Question: Since you're brewing an English style, why not use English malts rather than German? For example, replace the Carafa with English Chocolate, the Caramunich with English Crystal. Melanoidin is generally used to simulate decoction flavors so I wonder about its place in an English-style. But hey, it's your beer and recipes, as long as they're sensible, have much less effect on the outcome than process so go for it and let us know how it turns out.

I'm using the German grain cause thats what my LHBS has and he is the only guy in the city and pretty new so I want to support him when I can. I had to order the UK Brown and the yeast from the net though.

Good reason to use it. We're spoiled here - the Brew Hut has just about everything you could want and if not, they can get it for you.

recipe looks good and matches a London brown very well, let us know how it turns out
one thing to note that if you put your extract in at 60 it will darken and sweeten more than you think, if you want a traditional brown put the extract in at 30 or 15

Back