Another newbie

CRUNK

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone
Just joined looking for advise, I just started home brewing yesterday I ran my first batch, it was an all grain American Amber Ale, I did lots of research prior to starting this hobby, I adjusted my water, so on and so forth, I took my OG it was 1.053, 81% efficiency did I miss calculate, does that seem high for a beginner? The brew day was simple no hick ups no scrambling around, smooth day, I even smoked a corned beef brisket at the same time.I had a lot of fun, and now I'm hooked.

Welcome, glad to see another person get hooked on brewing.

That seems like a really good efficiency for your first time. From the amount of research it sounds like you did, then you just hit the ground running

The system I built is based on the blichmann Brew easy system, one 10g cooler, one 15 gal boil kettle a March pump, a blichmann tower of power controller, constantly recirculating really clear wort, I started a yeast starter 24 hours prior, to be honest, in my opinion, the only 2 ways to ruin a brew day seems to be rushing around, or lack of sanitary conditions. Regardless it is bubbling away in one of my fast fermentors. And I had a blast, looking forward to having company on a brew day.

Off to a flying start. I remember the first brew i made. I over primed a few bottles and they went off like Chinese firecrackers made one hell of a mess in the pantry. The girlfriend at the time was not impressed.

I'm debating on tablets or a dme mixture for carbonation

Well when i bottle i use carbonation drops. No mess like priming sugars can be. Only problem though is they look and taste like barely sugars. (a candy you can get here) So i have to hide them from my kids.

Lol, darn kids, mine are all grown and gone, do you recommend 3, 4, or 5 drops

Thank you the ones I purchased are different but I will follow the manufacturer instructions. Next saturday I'm brewing a 5 gallon batch of a Munich helles.

You know there is a priming sugar calculator on here? I just use this to calculate grams of sugar I boil this up with a little water on the stove then dump that into bottling bucket to bulk prime the lot. Not that I bottle much now as I've luckily moved on to kegs:D

I plan on moving up to keeping after a few batches to get the hang of brewing

I plan on moving up to keeping after a few batches to get the hang of brewing
You won't be dissatisfied I love the feeling after getting home from a long day and grabbing a chilled beer glass and pulling a frothie beer. No more cleaning masses of beer bottles. No more,oxidised brews , being able to purge head space on keg once beer is transferred and no more waiting for two weeks for that brew to carb just burst carb at 30psi for 24 hours release pressure set at serving pressure and your good to go:).

Back