Another AB Inbev buyout

Mark D Pirate

Trial Member
Reaction score
So news broke today that one of my favourite local craft brewers has been bought out , Pirate life started out in 2015 after 2 mates who both were trained by Brewdog moved to Australia and has done well in national comps and partnered with Ballast brewing for co-op brews that were well received .
Local hipsters are sporting brewery logo tattooed in and merch is seen in most crafty beer joints .
So providing the quality remains high do i keep drinking them ? I like local and keeping my money local but only if the quality justifies the price

I like to support local brewers (independent) who make good beer. In this case my reaction would be to find some other beer to support. However, I do make some exceptions, I really like Sharp's Sea Fury and buy a bottle or two or have a pint in a pub, its good beer. Since 2011 Sharp's have been owned by Molson Coors. Sharp's beer is still brewed in the Sharp's brewery in Cornwall.

I suspect Pirate life beer will suffer the AB Inbev fate... Style over substance... Profit over quality... Whatever it is, its going to be made in a mega factory with no soul!

I'm of the opinion that if you like the beer, drink the beer...I'll never understand the 'uptightness' over something that should bring enjoyment, but to each their own I suppose.

Only 2 years? They're snatching them up quick now

All beers are local to somebody.

Would you want your favorite football team to consist only of local players? No way! Get the best players you can find, from wherever they are.

Local craft brewery Eumundi Brewery opened backed by Lion Nathan same owner of XXXX here in QLD. I here there are two major players here in Aus up here in the North Lion Nathan and down south Carlton United Breweries.
Like you said Mark if their beer stays the same and the big company gives the Brewer freedom to be creative and produce his/her own quality product cheers to them:).

Happening in Central Oregon also. If it were my favorite watering hole and nothing really changed, I would stick with them. It’s not just an issue with the purchaser, it also takes a willing seller to make the deal. :)

I'm trying to figure out how they have so much money that they can buy so many breweries, were talking millions on each purchase

There are three reasons companies buy other companies: They either want their products, their processes or to eliminate them as competition. I'm not sure which of the three AB Inbev wants with craft breweries.

Just reading that Coopers here in Aus built their own malting Facility 40 million probably old news but good news for this family owned (as far as I understand it) brewery!

Large brewing corporations can't easily move into the craft beer market themselves. To me its an oxymoron, plenty like me believe once in the hands of these corporations something is lost, whatever it is.

Highly debated, emotionally charged topic and often flavored with political overtones.

Hear what you say Nosy, but it may be more like the “bigs,” haven gobbled up their own, are now seeing Kraft as a different market segment. But rather than eliminating the competition they could be hedging into the Kraft market segment. Maybe the “bigs” are transitioning from a growth model to a survival model.

Time for a beer! :D

Last edited:
You could look at them as a Venture Capitalist that can offer deep cost savings in malts. Purchasing a successful brewerery and helping the bottom line with your purchasing power can be win-win. Not saying it's the case, but certainly plausible to me. I agree on the "horizontal" market. I don't think Budweiser is worried about their loyal "Bud" drinkers, but why not pick up on the market for craft beer as well. Maybe they don't look at craft beer as direct competition to their historic lineup, rather a compliment or expansion. Trying to be optimistic. :D

If I were them, I'd be looking to stop the growth of craft beer or at least take over its market share. As mentioned, the Bud drinker isn't going to convert but if they can extract the premium price from craft beer drinkers, why shouldn't they?

lets think about this the average American lager drinker, not craft beer drinker but the big cheap brewery type have an certain age and eventually they will die off leaving more craft beer drinks in their wake so it makes since to use the philosophy if you can't beat em , join em ;)

What makes you think Bud drinkers won’t convert? What were craft beer drinkers drinking before there was craft beer?

What makes you think Bud drinkers won’t convert? What were craft beer drinkers drinking before there was craft beer?
Iced tea, at least in my case. Some will convert, most will not. Given the size of AB Inbev relative to the investment in craft breweries, it's a hedge at best. Risk mitigation, if you will.

It would be interesting to see a study of what the average young new beer drinker prefers, Craft or “Bud”. I bet the former is the trend.

I participated in a focus group funded by a large Brewery (Blitz which rebranded to Henry Weinhard’s) in the late ‘80s. They were worried about Craft back then. The interesting thing about the session is that most felt Craft beer was bitter, and the goal of Blitz was focused on advertising and changing the image of their product (I.e. not your father’s beer).

Last edited:

Back