AMOUNT OF CONFECTIONERS SUGAR

Brewer #61642

Trial Member
Reaction score
I am a new member and just brewed my first batch of CALIFORNIA COMMON.After my 60 min. boil and chilling of the wort,I was able to transfer to my 5 gallon bucket about 4.5 gallons.It fermented for 10 days and then today I was able to transfer to my secondary bucket about 3.75 gallons. I am going to let it sit for $ weeks and then bottle.I figured I will wind up with about 30-32 12 :shock: :shock: oz.bottles.How much priming sugar do I add to my bottling bucket before transferring my brew? I plan on letting the bottles sit for 2 weeks before trying but I am concerned about over carbonating my bottles.

A calculator like this one works well. Lists the different sugars that can be used. I use corn sugar, but table sugar works just as well. When you are bulk priming in the bottling bucket weighing the amount to use is more accurate than using a volume measure.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

I'd recommend staying away from confectioners sugar! It usually has an extra ingredient or two in it to prevent caking, and the most common ingredient I've seen is cornstarch. Use plain white table sugar before you use confectioners, if you don't have time to obtain corn sugar.

I also can't understand why you'd pay more for confectioner's sugar when plain old table sugar will work much better and has no additives. I have to admit, I use corn sugar, pricier than cane sugar (table sugar). There are some old myths flying around the brewosphere that cane sugar causes vinegary flavor, completely discredited but I can't figure out why I'm not using El Cheapo table sugar instead of funding the owner of my LHBS's kids' 529 plan. Habit, I guess.

Does table sugar (sucrose, I guess) do anything to the final beer flavor? We always have that around and it's cheaper than corn sugar (which I'd have to make a special trip out for).

its flavorless the only reason corn sugar is preferred is because its supposedly less processed and the yeast can digest it faster but Ive herd it works just the same

A calculator like this one works well. Lists the different sugars that can be used. I use corn sugar, but table sugar works just as well. When you are bulk priming in the bottling bucket weighing the amount to use is more accurate than using a volume measure.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/
There's a priming calculator in the "tools" drop-down at the top of this page. Everything you need is on this site.;)

Thanks you guys. Think I'm going to try table sugar for a cream ale. That calculator looks pretty handy.

Back