American Wheat

Jgarb86

Premium Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on a “honey lemon” wheat beer? Going to brew tomorrow and looking for any suggestions. Most concerned on the honey malt. I’ve read a lot that some use a little and say its overpowering and some use a lot and it’s just fine.

2.5 pounds 2 row 52%
2 pounds white wheat 42%
.3 pounds honey malt 6%
single infusion mash at 152
.2 oz Motueka 60 min
.3 oz Motueka 15 min
.5 oz lemon drop 5 min
.5 oz Lemon drop and .3 oz Motueka at whirlpool

US 05 yeast
1.052 sg
1.010 fg
34.66 IBU

Sorry, haven't brewed such a beer, can't offer much help. Having said that the grist seems reasonably balanced to me. There are some here that may have more helpful input.

Thoughts on a “honey lemon” wheat beer? Going to brew tomorrow and looking for any suggestions. Most concerned on the honey malt. I’ve read a lot that some use a little and say its overpowering and some use a lot and it’s just fine.

2.5 pounds 2 row 52%
2 pounds white wheat 42%
.3 pounds honey malt 6%
single infusion mash at 152
.2 oz Motueka 60 min
.3 oz Motueka 15 min
.5 oz lemon drop 5 min
.5 oz Lemon drop and .3 oz Motueka at whirlpool

US 05 yeast
1.052 sg
1.010 fg
34.66 IBU
While the honey malt addition wouldn't be my thing, I completely get why you are doing it. I can't help with that honey malt addition other than to say if you add too much, there is no taking it out. Otherwise, I like the recipe a lot. I use Lemondrop and Mouteka in my AW as well. Tastes great with a slice of lime.

Add some rice hulls to keep the mash from getting stuck.

US05 gives it a more ale-like character, you probably want that, but run it a bit warmer to get some of the wheat character. Or use a hefeweitzen yeast, run it cooler to keep it from being a hefeweitzen. Or not! :D

I like honey malt but I would still keep it under 5% for a beer like this. Also I would consider dropping the ibus and possibly adding some lemon zest.

Honestly, you can just get rid of the bittering addition.
I target 15-20 IBU's.
That lets the sweetness of the wheat malt shine through and really reduces the need for the honey malt.
As much as I like honey malt, use it carefully.
Also, the rice hull suggestion is a good idea, but it just depends on the mash tun set up you have.
Good luck!
Brian

So I brewed this one as I originally posted. Drinking one now after bottling 2 weeks ago. I’m unsure on the honey malt. I think I leaning toward not a fan, as I’m getting a lingering honey/sweet aftertaste that I don’t think Is the best. But overall the beer is good. Brew mentor I like your idea. I will try this one again dropping the honey malt and moving all hop additions 20 minutes and later.

Back