American Porters and molasses

I haven't used molasses, but have made several brews with dark sugars, like turbinado, muscovado, jaggery, etc. Usually 1/2 to 1 lb. in a 5 gallon batch. It does add some dimension to the finished beer. Add it at or close to flameout so you don't cook off too much of its flavors.

Only 2oz. molasses in the recipe? They're going conservative with it. But be careful, as too much can take over the flavor. Especially the darker varieties. Start out with the 2oz, and if you can't detect much, use more next time.

only thing I have ever heard was to avoid black strap (or treacle) because of the sulfur content

Does anybody have any experience with molasses in brewing? I found this recipe that looked pretty interesting and not too complex...oh yeah...and Fuggles!

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/678652/hurricane-roy-porter

Thoughts?
Looks like a goer either this or try that partial boil down like the Q4 Brown ale if your going for some Carramel unfermentable Notes....

I don't see why you have to boil for 90 here might be going for that caramilisation or what is it Mailard reactions.

Either molasses or treacle even I'd give it a shot man!

Last edited:
I've used molasses. It caused an iron taste that was more prominent in the taste of the foam than the beer itself. I would advise to stick with the 2 oz in the recipe -- a little goes a very long way. I believe I used more than 2 oz. But it was >20 years ago, I don't recall the exact amount offhand.

It caused an iron taste that was more prominent in the taste of the foam than the beer itself. I would advise to stick with the 2 oz in the recipe -- a little goes a very long way. I believe I used more than 2 oz.

Yeah I had heard that about them but it was the second running (processing that is) of them, where the black straps were more robust v the second processing has the oft described, "bloody taste".

Just invert BEFORE driving, not during.
Problem.jpg

Eclipse?

Whatdya call 15 Ibis flying in a straight line?
Yup, eclipse it

And no clue. I thought looking at pics of them might help me figure it out, but I think I'm more lost now

Back