american hefewiesen

I've brewed a very similar recipe in the past. You'd probably be very happy with this beer as you have it laid out.
I might suggest C-20 rather than C-40 but the slightly more toffee/caramel flavor might be a nice addition.
If you want to think about other American hops, Crystal is a perfect variety for a beer like this. - some noble qualities with very bright citrus/lemon notes.
I've used the WB-06 and it'll do nicely but I've found that I really, really prefer the flavor of Mangrove Jack M-21 Belgian Wit yeast for beers like this.

I've brewed a very similar recipe in the past. You'd probably be very happy with this beer as you have it laid out.
I might suggest C-20 rather than C-40 but the slightly more toffee/caramel flavor might be a nice addition.
If you want to think about other American hops, Crystal is a perfect variety for a beer like this. - some noble qualities with very bright citrus/lemon notes.
I've used the WB-06 and it'll do nicely but I've found that I really, really prefer the flavor of Mangrove Jack M-21 Belgian Wit yeast for beers like this.
ill try crystal but my provider doesn't carry mangrove jack what about wyeast 1010 any thoughts

You're really brewing an American Wheat. It's the German Weissbier yeast that make it a Hefeweizen. But that's the BJCP in me coming out - looks like a decent brew.

It's the German Weissbier yeast that make it a Hefeweizen.
WB-06 is supposed to be the Weihenstephan yeast. If hopping is kept in line with BJCP guidelines and fermentation temps bring out a good balance of phenols and esters, I think he could have a pretty convincing Hefweizen. ;)

So I'm confused. Are you trying to make a hefe or an american wheat? That should determine your yeast choice.

Last edited:
WB-06 is supposed to be the Weihenstephan yeast. If hopping is kept in line with BJCP guidelines and fermentation temps bring out a good balance of phenols and esters, I think he could have a pretty convincing Hefweizen. ;)
I didn't realize they had a hefe strain. Must be fairly new.... Okay, now, given that the yeast is a Hefeweizen strain, I'd lose the crystal malt, maybe replace it with Carafoam, and replace the hops with either Hallertau or Tettnanger. Unless you're wanting to make an American Wheat, in which case I'd switch yeasts and go with a more assertive, American style hop. But I'm a traditionalist when it comes to my German brews. And as some have said, it'll make beer.

But back to my original point: An American Hefeweizen is confusing. Unless this is some kind of fusion brew based on the American hops (Crystal) and Crystal Malt, these two styles are one of the few either-ors in brewing, with the outcome dependent on the yeast strain (and to a lesser degree, the malt - American wheats tend to use a lower proportion of wheat that Germans).

yeah I'm going to use wb-06 a strain I used in a hefeweizen before and was happy and ill go with what I was going to do before crystal in us tettanager but the whole point of this experiment anyways is to see what happens when you try to make a hefewiezen using only north American ingredients thanks for the feedback

Reactions: J A
Sounds like an interesting experiment. Keep us informed, please!

With 71% wheat in mash rice hulls would be your friend.
I was told you don't need rice hulls in biab? the rice hulls was to stop stuck sparge in a mashtun witch you don't do in biab that's just what I was told at least

I was told you don't need rice hulls in biab? the rice hulls was to stop stuck sparge in a mashtun witch you don't do in biab that's just what I was told at least
You still need liquid to flow through the grain in BIAB. Don't know what a stuck mash would look like there, maybe like a ball of clay?

^^^That's what I was thinking...
I use a bag in a tun with false bottom so I can recirculate and you can unstick your sparge when recirculating by lifting your bag and getting things flowing again. Given that, you can't really get a stuck sparge with a straight BIAB set up, but if you're not getting enzyme-rich liquid in contact with all the starches, you won't be getting the efficiency you could be.
I think it's going to come down to your mash thickness. If you do full-volume mash, rice hulls will be redundant. If you're mashing at 1.25-1.5 quarts per lb and then batch sparging, you may benefit from at least a good double handful of rice hulls.

^^^Brew on! I doubt that the rice hulls will make a big difference. If it was me, I'd definitely stir it a time or three during the mash to be sure everything is getting good contact time.

just brewed the hefe besides my biab bag breaking every thing went good near perfect gravity slightly higher than expected be back in two weeks when fermentation is done
What your Bag broke! I'm guessing the wort wasn't draining to quickly from all the wheat?

Back