American Brown Ale Hops Pairing.

J1791Hernandez

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm Brewing an American Brown Ale and was going to use Chinook and Cascade together but not sure how much to use. Would I bitter with Chinook and finish at 15 min with Cascade? Or the other way around? Bitter with Cascade and finish with Chinook?

Last edited:
Chinook is one of those hops with a very strident presence as a bittering hop. It can come off as harsh. It's a wonderful hop and the alphas are right for bittering but it can lend a little too much lingering piney bite if overused. A brown ale can stand up to some strong bitterness and the flavor profile is a good match so it's a solid choice.
I'd get no more than 1/3 of total IBUs in the 60 minute addition using Chinook. Then come in with a good flavor addition at around 20 minutes giving equal IBUs in Chinook and Cascade. Then finish with a good dose of Cascade at the end, maybe 5 minutes, to round out the IBUs and pack in flavor and aroma.
You end up using up a little more hops with a schedule like that but staggering additions and utilizing the same hop at different times adds a lot of complexity.

Chinook is one of those hops with a very strident presence as a bittering hop. It can come off as harsh. It's a wonderful hop and the alphas are right for bittering but it can lend a little too much lingering piney bite if overused. A brown ale can stand up to some strong bitterness and the flavor profile is a good match so it's a solid choice.
I'd get no more than 1/3 of total IBUs in the 60 minute addition using Chinook. Then come in with a good flavor addition at around 20 minutes giving equal IBUs in Chinook and Cascade. Then finish with a good dose of Cascade at the end, maybe 5 minutes, to round out the IBUs and pack in flavor and aroma.
You end up using up a little more hops with a schedule like that but staggering additions and utilizing the same hop at different times adds a lot of complexity.

So since I'm trying to shoot close to 30 IBUs should I then only be using .3 oz of Chinook instead of the .6 oz to get me 10.55 IBUs which is 1/3 of 30, and then at 20 min add 1 oz. of Cascade which gives me another 11.47 IBU's, and at 5 min add 2 oz of cascade to get me another 7.55 IBUs with a total of 29.57 IBU's?

This is what I have so far.

Fermentables
Briess LME Pale Ale - 6.3 lbs

Steeping Grains
Chocolate Malt - 8 oz
Crystal 60L - 16 oz
Biscuit Malt - 8 oz

Yeast

Wyeast American Ale II 1272

Hops
Chinook (60 min) - .3 oz.
Cascade (20 min) - 1 oz.
Cascade (5 min) - 2 oz

OG: 1.053 FG: 1.014 ABV: 5.1% IBU: 29.57 SRM 23.85

Last edited:
It seems like that would work pretty well, though I might use some of the other Chinook in the middle or late additions and save some of the Cascade. that gives a little more of the Chinook flavor that will go nicely with a beer like this. For a relatively low IBU beer, you might make things easier and go to a half ounce of Chinook at 60 and calculate from there.
Another way to think about this: Extract recipes don't necessarily benefit from a full 60 minute boil. Just re-calculate the recipe based on a 40 minute boil and you solve the issue of potential harshness from the Chinook.

Chinook and Cascade are in a lot of browns but rather than IBU's...if you are going towards a more hoppy brown, what kinda flavor or aroma are you looking for from your brown?? I like something earthy so I lean mine towards the porter choices like EKG or Fuggles

I like something earthy so I lean mine towards the porter choices like EKG or Fuggles
Good suggestion...Willamette is the go-to for earthy/floral/spice flavor and it pairs perfectly with Cascade up and down the hop addition schedule. Still it's nice to have that piney/resiny bite from Chinook or Nugget in a true Northwest style American beer. :)

I would think Cluster for bittering, Willamette for flavor would be a great and classic combination for American Brown.

I use fuggles for mine and I really like it as a finishing flavor next to any dark beer that uses grain for most of the flavor and not hops

Fuggles is my only hop plant sitting under 8 inches of snow...I think this year we are gonna see some cones..fingers crossed

Back